• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in school zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JShepherd

What is the name of your state? Tulsa, Oklahoma

I was pulled over for speeding in an active school zone going 13 over, and now I've had several friends tell me that I need to get legal representation because they've heard the courts will hit you hard with that (massive fines, sentence deferred, ect.).

I've never had a speeding ticket before and I'm usually a very cautious driver. I was pulled over going 38 in what is normally a 40 mph zone. I go through the area often, but I'm usually working when the zone is active but had traded my lunch hour with a coworker. I received an order to go to court, but no actual amount was put on the ticket. The ticket reads that I was pulled over at 11 o'clock which is just when the school zone lights go active.

Should I get legal representation? What's the best way to handle this? I'd prefer a smaller ticket...

cepe10

one way to find out is to attend a court session before you go and see what happens. if they hand out probation then that may be a good option to try for given your clean record.

were there kids present? if not that may be a mitigating factor given the zone just barely went active... normally the signs say (when children present" or something to that effect..

should you not feel you could go in and represent yourself, a lawyer would probably help you get a plea bargain and the cost would probable still be below the insurance hike in the long run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">