• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

driving in the passing lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nathanamcc

What is the name of your state? Washington

Yesterday i was driving on I-90 in the leftmost lane (3 lanes each direction). I was doing right around 65 in a 60 mph zone. I noticed a cop one lane to my right and about 200 feet back (the reason I wasn't going faster than 65). He changed lanes in behind me and I immediately got over to the right one lane; he followed and flashed his lights. He wrote the ticket for driving in the passing lane without passing, which seems ridiculous to me anyway since I wasn't impeding anyone's travel anyway. The only reason I wasn't passing more quickly is becasue I didn't want him to get me for speeding. On top of that, he didn't ask me to sign, but instead wrote "copy received" where I should have signed, and he failed to return my registration (I didnt notice till later). So, what do you think I should do.

racer72

You are only required to sign the ticket if a court appearance is mandatory. As far as your registration, you should contact the nearest WSP office (I would assume it was the WSP that nabbed you on I-90) and ask for your registration back. It is illegal to drive a vehicle without the registration. You were probably cited for RCW 46.61.100.(2)

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

It will be a pretty tough argument, the law is pretty clear. If you have a clean driving record you can as for a deferral. Keep your nose clean for a year and the ticket goes away. The downside is if you get another ticket the fines for both tickets hit at the same time plus you will take a hit for 2 tickets, not one, with your insurance company. If you are normally a safe driver, it is a good option.

What Racer72 said - stay out of the left lane unless passing. They are enforcing this ordinance more often (like excessive speeding and aggressive) since it can be a trigger for aggressive driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">