• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems w/ the Contractor - How to deal ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petaloudas

What is the name of your state? CA

I am currently undergoing a remodelling at my home and I have been having problems w/ bad construction from day 1. To avoid liens I paid 50% of the balance so far, as per the written contract, w/ the remaining 50% due on completion. I reuested conditional liens releases for the work done so far. He did provide me a conditional lien waiver but - failed to read carefully - it is stated that it only gets actived if the the check that i gave him is cashed. Something which he has not done so far - already 3 weeks since I paid him.
What can I do about that ?

Further, & this is where I need a good advice, is whether its a good idea to pay him the remaining 50% at job completion, even though the job will not be satisfactory (its obvious), in order to avoid liens and once I have all lien releases from suppliers/contractor/subcontarctor to send a demand letter complaining.

Is this a good idea or do I risk to loose my leverage if I pay 100% ?

thanksWhat is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">