• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor trying to get paid. Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahhr

What is the name of your state? California. I work for a small construction company. After completing a job on a client's home, The client refused to pay the final invoice and stated he has a list of "15 things" that supposedly need to be reworked. The client has stood us up twice when we made appointments to review his concerns. He has stated that he will fax us the "list" but never has.

Can a construction customer refuse payments until rework is done?

Also, to collect, should I file a mechanic's lien and then attempt to collect on the lien through small claims court? Or should I go straight to court without the lien?

We have a contract with the payment structure as part of it, but the client had changed the scope of the work many times during construction and I am afraid we are lacking change orders for much of it. Help! He owes us about $4500What is the name of your state?

HappyHusband

What is the name of your state? California. I work for a small construction company. After completing a job on a client's home, The client refused to pay the final invoice and stated he has a list of "15 things" that supposedly need to be reworked. The client has stood us up twice when we made appointments to review his concerns. He has stated that he will fax us the "list" but never has.

Also, to collect, should I file a mechanic's lien and then attempt to collect on the lien through small claims court? Or should I go straight to court without the lien?

We have a contract with the payment structure as part of it, but the client had changed the scope of the work many times during construction and I am afraid we are lacking change orders for much of it. Help! He owes us about $4500What is the name of your state?
Send them notice that if they don't allow you to "rework" whatever it is they want, then you will sue for or file a lien for the outstanding amount.

Possibly, but if they will not allow you to do the rework, then they are just withholding payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">