• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First posession charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

couriouser

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

Overview: I was pulled over for a traffic violation, car searched and passenger arrested/charged for posession of MJ.

I was once summoned to court for a speeding ticket in Louisiana. I vaguely remember pleading guilty under chapter "something" of the law that would make it so that it would not appear on my record. I was told that it was along the lines of a "get out of jail free card" that could be used with any misdemeanor- but only one time in my life, and the judge had to grant permission. Is this only a state specific thing? or is this country wide? Would this be a way to keep the posession charge off my passenger's record?

My passenger has a reletively clean record except for one misdemeanor (not posession)- what would be the best course of action in court so as to minimize the additional "damage"? The summons states there is already a $420 fine. He intended to plead guilty.

couriouser

With all due respect- the only reason I know anything about it is because I pled guilty under chapter "whatever" and the misdemeanor was never put on my record. But, obviously, like you said, if it's a state law, it definitely won't apply in NH. Thanks anyways.

Bretagne

When you're talking about the old misdemeanor charge with the "get out of jail free" sort of thing, it sounds like you got some type of alternate disposition. This means that maybe you pled guilty but were given a stay of adjudication or maybe the prosecutor gave you a continuance for dismissal. That means that the misdemeanor would stay off your record.

Every state has some type of alternate disposition available. Maybe there is a drug court there and your friend can do diversion. Maybe he/she can plead to a non-crime amended offense. There are options out there; better tell your friend to get a consultation with a good, local criminal defense attorney. Someone local will have a better idea if your friend can get a break.

Make sure that the misemeanor is a payable-fine type where your friend is not risking jail. Also, the fine may be $420 (very, very ironic) but there may be court costs and assessments as well your friend should be prepared to pay.

Good luck!!

danno6925

Make sure that the misemeanor is a payable-fine type where your friend is not risking jail. Also, the fine may be $420 (very, very ironic) but there may be court costs and assessments as well your friend should be prepared to pay.
Brother, you ain't lyin' - in PA, no matter what you go in front of a judge for, there is always a fee if you itemize your court costs that is actually titled: Access to Justice Fee. They sure do nickle and dime you to death in fees.

Always wondered what would happen if one couldn't afford that fee...or just flat out refused to pay for the privilege of arriving in court court on a workday just to be billed even more for something that shouldn't be illegal in the first place, but that's just me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">