• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting my partner out of this mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michel8636

My husband hit me a couple of days ago. I called the police and they put a warrant out on him. I did not write a statement or file a charge or sign anything. The officer told me that since we live in Texas they will still go after him. Since that night, we have since talked and are trying to work things out. This was the first time this has happened and his record is clear. What do I do to get him out of being arrested? How long will he go to jail for? Thanks for your time Michelle in Texas

LegalBeagle

michel8636 said:
My husband hit me a couple of days ago. I called the police and they put a warrant out on him. I did not write a statement or file a charge or sign anything. The officer told me that since we live in Texas they will still go after him. Since that night, we have since talked and are trying to work things out. This was the first time this has happened and his record is clear. What do I do to get him out of being arrested? How long will he go to jail for? Thanks for your time Michelle in Texas
What you do is WAKE UP !! find your backbone and leave the scumbag. He HIT you for goodness sake. Wanna place a bet with me on how long before he does it again ??

M

michel8636

That is not legal advice, that is your oppinion and that is not what I am asking for.

LegalBeagle said:
michel8636 said:
What you do is WAKE UP !! find your backbone and leave the scumbag. He HIT you for goodness sake. Wanna place a bet with me on how long before he does it again ??

LegalBeagle

That is not legal advice, that is your oppinion and that is not what I am asking for.
It is so sad ... women like you do this sort of thing every day.. and everyday another women is beaten. Sorry, but I am not about to give you any legal advice to help you get him off from the charges..

Maybe someone else would like to jump in and help this women get beaten again .. ??

M

michel8636

LegalBeagle said:
It is so sad ... women like you do this sort of thing every day.. and everyday another women is beaten. Sorry, but I am not about to give you any legal advice to help you get him off from the charges..

Maybe someone else would like to jump in and help this women get beaten again .. ??

R

REParker819

Michelle, LB is trying to help you. Your husband HIT you! Why would you want to take him back? Maybe if he goes to jail for a while, then he will learn. But probably not. I hope you dont have children, cause once you are not fun enough to hit, then they come next. Good Luck.

C

conran

all your responses are worthless.....you ppl dont know the details of what happened. lets play the "what if" game here.....what if he only slapped her? what if it was only a return slap in response to her slap? what if this were the case? isnt it possible?? I didnt see her post the details of what actually happened...and i didnt see his version of what happened either...you are all convicting the man before trial??.....you ppl are so sterotyped, thinking that a man is guilty even before conviction. What if it did happen that way? should he still be convicted as a woman-beater?? What if it was in self-defense? should he still be convicted as a woman-beater?

[Edited by conran on 01-30-2001 at 11:36 PM]

T

Tigres

Since she wants to get him off, she would have mentioned if it was self defense. So what if he did only slap her? Not your place to decide.

If he did it in self defense or only slapped her, then he is welcome to argue that in court, yes?

michel8636, wake up honey. Some men really do change. But there aren't that many out there. A great deal more get worse and one day the woman that was only hit(or slapped) once is afraid to even leave because they could be killed. Stay with him if that is what you feel is right, but to protect yourself in the future (should things get worse) you really need to let this court case proceed. Don't lie for him. Don't try to get him off.

Tig

P.S. My ex used to tell me that punching me in the leg or the stomach were just 'love taps'.

C

conran

well said....just dont convict the man before trial, like all these other postings are trying to do........as for him, he best get O.J's lawyers to defend him if he feels being dragged into court is unfair. In todays court system, the man is treated guilty until he proves himself innocent, not innocent until proven guilty.
http://home.earthlink.net/~proadvocate/index.html

K

kyladybug

about a year ago my b/f and i got into a "scuffle" and i ended up with a hurt arm and couple of black eyes. daughter called ambulance service as she has a friend that worked there and wanted her to come out unofficially...local law showed up (new law...amublance called, they must notify law). b/f was arrested and spent the night in jail, released on condition of no contact with me, no futher assaults to be committed and $500 bond and court day was set...we showed up for court and i tried to speak up for him to say that i took part of the blame but the judge wouldn't listen and had his bond revoked cause we had been sitting together. judge asked me after court if i had any objections to him being back in the home and i said no and he said i could go pick him up...but probation officer wasn't notified so another night in jail. back to court...b/f feeling intimadated, disgusted, wanting the nightmare to end, etc. so he plead guilty to 4th degree assault, judge gave b/f a lecture, asked me if i wanted charges dropped, i said yes, and placed b/f on 2 years probation. b/f considered it self defense cause when the argument started, he grabbed me and i tried to break lose and he felt i would try to hit him, etc. i was at fault also and i'm willing to take some of the blame. it's been almost a year and he's never threatened to hit me...people do make mistakes!!!

T

Tigres

kyladybug said:
people do make mistakes!!!
Yes, that is why the majority of posters (and lurkers) come here! :)

Tig

"Researchers have recently found out the leading cause of divorce is marriage."

C

conran

michel8636, my advise is your husband needs the best lawyer he can afford....(great if he has access to O.J's lawyers?)its a shame our great country has evolved to this, but its a fact nowdays....if you dont have the money for the best lawyers, you are at the mercy of our courts, weither you are guilty or innocent. Maybe the womens rights movement went too far?....they have our court system convinced that a man is guilty even before trial and will rarely listen to his side of the story. The only proof i can offer is my personal experience. I pray he doesnt have to go through the nightmarish persecution i endured.

I am 42 years old and all my life shared most peoples (and the courts)dis-taste for wife-beaters. I never understood how a woman could love a man that would hit her. Only through my own experience do i now know the truth, the truth being that just maybe some of those horror stories i heard or read about just might be similar to mine..innocent men unjustly prosecuted....guilty, and even more guilty with higher fines and longer probation when i did try to defend myself by speaking the truth.....the courts dont want to hear the guys side because in their eyes the man is already guilty, plain and simple.

one more note michel8636, and alot of people will disagree with me, but its a fact since he is already found guilty before trial.....if your husband is as innoccent as i am, hiring the best lawyer possible isnt enough....you will have to lie through your teeth, taking total blame, possibly even risking jail yourself ( though not likely, our courts go after the men, not the women )
the reason for this is.......your husband has already been found guilty by our glorious court system, even before the trial.
if however you feel he is capable of striking you again then you should seriously consider a divorce.

http://home.earthlink.net/~proadvocate/index.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">