• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missouri Marijuana Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brb6w4

I am facing a court date in Lafayette County, MO, on Nov. 1st for possession of under 35 grams of marijuana (in conjunction with a speeding ticket exceeding posted limit by 20 mph). I have sought no legal advice (can't afford it), and have no prior criminal record of any nature.

Missouri law puts the maximum penalty for possession of under 35 grams at 1 year incarceration and/or up to $1000 fine. I am curious as to what the most likely penalty will be in this case. I plan to plead guilty; I was hoping to escape this with paying court fees, almost certainly taking points against my license, and doing community service.

I am a college student, 20 years old, female, no prior record. It seems, at least to me, highly unlikely that I will face jail time or have to pay the maximum fine of $1000 dollars. Will I be put on probation? Is community service a guaranteed option in place of a fine? Am I likely to lose my license? How does a class A misdemeanor of this nature affect my record?

Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

(marijuana was actually less than 2 grams, viewed in plain sight)

JETX

I am curious as to what the most likely penalty will be in this case. Will I be put on probation? Is community service a guaranteed option in place of a fine? Am I likely to lose my license? How does a class A misdemeanor of this nature affect my record?
We have sent your questions to Madam Tashia, the world reknown Internet psychic. Problem is... she is out channeling right now (something about talking with Natalie Wood) and can't offer her prognostication until she returns.

fairisfair

besides which you better hope you aren't relying on government $$ for that college education. This kind of misdemeanor charge may very well make you ineligible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">