• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stranger to this stuff..Need Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marshane

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My son was coming home from a neighboring town Friday night after delivering a load for his work. He was not driving a big rig or anything, but was driving the company truck pulling a gooseneck trailer. Someone beeped him on his southern linc and as he was retreiving it from it's holster it got away from him and fell into the floorboard of the truck. He was trying to get it and veered slightly out of his lane. Due to a country singer concert there was a huge police presence and he was observed by a county deputy who pulled him over for failure to maintain a lane.

My son was not drinking or anything but his truck was searched and he was found to have a marajuana joint and a bottle containing valium, five or less pills, he doesn't know exactly how many he had. He was arrested and taken to the county detention facility. He thought he would get a hearing to have his bond set this afternoon (Monday) but we have since been told that because valium is a schedule 4 drug and posession is a felony that he would have to wait and go before the judge Wednesday to have his bond set on that charge.

My son has NEVER been in trouble with the law before and is NOT a drug abuser. He has been under a great amount of stress for the past several months due to his job and a failing marriage and has not been able to sleep. He has no health insurance and to keep from having to pay a doctor and drug bill, someone (his grandmother, I think) gave him several pills so he could see if they would help him get some rest. The joint was left in the truck by another employee.

OK , I know that is beside the point. Anyway, no one will give him any info at the facility and I have not been able to speak to our local sheriff because he is in court today. Yhe only info my son has been able to get is from other inmates. He has been told that he didn't have representation and had to have a public defender that it would be Wednesday week before he could go before the judge for a bond hearing. He was also told that each pill was considered one count. I have called the sheriff's office there and I can't get anything out of them either. They are full of smarty butt answers and wise cracks.

I guess all of this is a long story just to get someone to advise us on what to do. We aren't trying to get around the system or anything even though his is a case of innocence and ignorance. (I know...that's what they all say). We just want to have all of our ducks in a row Wednesday so he won't have to wait another week to be able to post bail.

Also, what can he expect? This is his very first time ever being arrested for anything. What is the chance of getting the charges reduced from felony to misdemeanor? He has three little boys who are really looking forward to hunting with their daddy. I guess that's out of the question with a felony conviction, huh? Ok, I know I'm rambling now, but ANY advice will be sooo greatly appreciated. I don't even know how to go about getting an attorney or anything:confused: . Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">