• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Error on Speeding Ticket(Summons)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

globe9

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

I received a speeding ticket yesterday(10/30/2006) in Luling, Louisiana for doing 80 mph in a 60 mph. The office issued me a "Office of State Police" summons which states that "On the 30 day of Oct 2006" It then goes on to list my name, address, etc.
At the bottom of the summons it states, "Sworn to before me this 31 day of Oct 2006" This date is wrong. I was issued and signed the ticket(sworn to) on October 30, not the 31st. Is this error serious enough to have the ticket thrown out by the DA? I've been searching the net(Lexisone, La Statutes etc.) for an answer to this, but no one has anything about errors on summons' Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is my first ticket in over 5 years and I don't want my insurance to go up.

globe9

Really? The fact that it says I was sworn to something on the wrong date is not enough to have it dismissed or reduced? I know spelling errors in names, etc. are not cause for dismissal, but I would think 2 different dates is pretty serious...I mean afterall, what date was I allegedly speeding? Seems to me to be kinda important. But thanks for the advice anyway, I am going to still bring it up with the D.A. Is there anything I should say about it, that sounds "legal" so as to have him think I know a little bit more about the legal system and how it works than I do?

racer72

The error does not prevent you from presenting a valid defense to the citation. The ticket will not be what is used against you in court anyway, it will be the officers's notes. Subpeona for a copy of the notes, if the same error is on the notes, you might have the slimmest of chances of contesting the citation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">