• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased mother - please help us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moppy_

What is the name of your state? Washington state

My wife's mother died yesterday and we are looking for any help what-so-ever. Please.
The family has 3 people: the deceased, my wife (elder sibling) and her brother (younger sibling). No other family. The deceased lived in Washington state, my wife and our family in Tennessee, and her brother and family in Georgia.

The deceased was disabled, a double amputee, and had an in home nurse and a couple of friends in her apartment complex (the nurse and 1 friend have a key)

The younger sibling, according to the deceased, is power of attorney. My wife has no problems with this what-so-ever. They are working together--there is no estate to settle--they just want to take care of the final arrangements and move on. No fighting, no property to fight over. The deceased said there was a bank account with enough funds to cover her final expenses. Both my wife and her brother question if this account even exists.

Younger sibling has not received any paperwork of any kind from the deceased, eventhough she has made it clear to both that he was to be power of attorney. Both my wife and her brother think the paperwork (if there is any) is in her apartment. Management at the apartments refuses access to the home without PoA papers.

What do we do now? We can not even get her remains for a proper service. All families involved are 3000 miles away, we all live paycheck-to-paycheck, we all pay our bills and have good credit, but can't afford to stay in Washington for any type of court proceedings or any length of time. We all can afford to go there for a few days, but not over a week.

Any ideas?

What do we do?

Where do we turn?

Thanks for any help you folks might be able to provide.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Washington state

My wife's mother died yesterday and we are looking for any help what-so-ever. Please.
The family has 3 people: the deceased, my wife (elder sibling) and her brother (younger sibling). No other family. The deceased lived in Washington state, my wife and our family in Tennessee, and her brother and family in Georgia.

The deceased was disabled, a double amputee, and had an in home nurse and a couple of friends in her apartment complex (the nurse and 1 friend have a key)

The younger sibling, according to the deceased, is power of attorney. My wife has no problems with this what-so-ever. They are working together--there is no estate to settle--they just want to take care of the final arrangements and move on. No fighting, no property to fight over. The deceased said there was a bank account with enough funds to cover her final expenses. Both my wife and her brother question if this account even exists.

Younger sibling has not received any paperwork of any kind from the deceased, eventhough she has made it clear to both that he was to be power of attorney. Both my wife and her brother think the paperwork (if there is any) is in her apartment. Management at the apartments refuses access to the home without PoA papers.

What do we do now? We can not even get her remains for a proper service. All families involved are 3000 miles away, we all live paycheck-to-paycheck, we all pay our bills and have good credit, but can't afford to stay in Washington for any type of court proceedings or any length of time. We all can afford to go there for a few days, but not over a week.

Any ideas?

What do we do?

Where do we turn?

Thanks for any help you folks might be able to provide.
POAs expire upon the death of the grantor. To access records & property, someone needs to open probate and become the Personal Representative/executor. Since both of the deceased's children live out-of-state, an attorney who lives where probate needs to be opened will likely be necessary. Start making some calls to probate attorneys.

moppy_

I guess that's what we'll do. None of us have been in this situation before, thanks for your help.

mop

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">