• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with builder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ckck0

What is the name of your state? Alabama
We made the mistake of paying our contractor by the hour and it ended up costing alot more than what he had quoted us. He ordered our building materials and that ended up costing more than quoted. We did not have any sort of written contract but he stated that it would take 6-8 weeks and it ended up taking a few monthes. We ended up having to pay for an extension on our construction loan and overall this house has ended up being overbudget. Now he had his lawyer send us a notice stating if we do not pay additional money which I do not believe we owe or they will file a lien on our house. We do not have the money and we do not owe it. What do we do?

John Se

Pay up, you owe

What is the name of your state? Alabama
We made the mistake of paying our contractor by the hour and it ended up costing alot more than what he had quoted us. He ordered our building materials and that ended up costing more than quoted. We did not have any sort of written contract but he stated that it would take 6-8 weeks and it ended up taking a few monthes. We ended up having to pay for an extension on our construction loan and overall this house has ended up being overbudget. Now he had his lawyer send us a notice stating if we do not pay additional money which I do not believe we owe or they will file a lien on our house. We do not have the money and we do not owe it. What do we do?
So you have construction project which is overbudget, do you think you are in a unique situation, that in itself is not reason to not pay. I suggest you pay your bills since you state above you agreed to pay by the hour. why do you think you dont owe the money, you chose not to make a fixed price deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">