• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free Lance work while on Group Long Term Disability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbag01

What is the name of your state? CT
Hello; I am out of work on extended medical leave, I am collecting Group Long Term Disability Benefits through my employer. My employer is paying my health insurance benefit and my LTD is waiving the payments on my accident and life insurance. I have been offered an opportunity to do some free lance writing for a small newspaper working strictly from home and only when I feel up to it. I have a rare and not curable kind of cancer and likely will not be able to return to my former job. My question is; if I were to do some free lance writing and be paid by the article, working from home, would I jeapordize my LTD and other benefits? I think it would be good for me mentally to write, however I can't see jeapordizing everything if it would be considered a "job". I had to fight hard to get my benefits approved and I don't want to do anything to upset the apple cart particularly since my health is up and down and I need everything I have that is already approved in order to survive, my medications are very, very expensive as are my medical costs. Any advice? :confused:What is the name of your state?

dbag01

Hi; I have not contacted them because they were very difficult to deal with and I am afraid of opening Pandora's Box with any employment type questions to them. :eek:

Bigfoot

Free Lance Work

Will you be using your legal name as a by-line at the newspaper? Will you receive either a W2 or 1099? Does your LTD require an annual medical check up? Was your disability based on not being able to conduct the work you were previously hired to do, or ANY occupation?

See any possible loopholes in these questions? Like maybe setting up a one person corporation, getting a Federal ID number and PO box, and using someone else as the Registered Agent with your Secretary of State's Office?

You've heard the saying: "Go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is!" Imagine both the joy you will receive from doing the work you love and how inspirational your writing will be to the readers!

I'm willing to believe that you are worth taking whatever risks are necessary to live your life to the fullest!

Shay-Pari'e

Will you be using your legal name as a by-line at the newspaper? Will you receive either a W2 or 1099? Does your LTD require an annual medical check up? Was your disability based on not being able to conduct the work you were previously hired to do, or ANY occupation?

See any possible loopholes in these questions? Like maybe setting up a one person corporation, getting a Federal ID number and PO box, and using someone else as the Registered Agent with your Secretary of State's Office?

You've heard the saying: "Go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is!" Imagine both the joy you will receive from doing the work you love and how inspirational your writing will be to the readers!

I'm willing to believe that you are worth taking whatever risks are necessary to live your life to the fullest!
So you are encouraging *FRAUD*? :rolleyes:

Mrs3

I'm not sure if you are on SSDI but (not sure if it is in all States) they have a ticket to work program where you can work part time and still retain your benefits. The idea is that you can in time be able to work successfully and get off your DI income. If you cannot work enough to retire your benefits you are not punished. You can make up to a certain dollar amount. Of course they would make sure you weren't intentionally working less than you were physically able etc.

You have to check your LTD policy to see what it says about working. I know on mine it says that I cannot earn 70% of my origninal salary or work a full time schedule - I'm sorry, I think it isn't full time but something like 25 hours a week - and I don't believe it can be in my original profession but not sure about that.

The idea there is that if you are disabled and collecting from your LTD carrier you cannot work full time or over a certain amount of hours a week, earn a certain percentage less than your original salary and/or cannot be trained in a new profession. Some policies may in fact not have that consideration and will not pay if you can do anything more than breathe in an out every day.

My condition is such (and it sounds like yours in a sense) that I can work one day for a few hours on the computer while laying down but then maybe not work at all for days or weeks. However I can make a little money here and there and it's ok. Both SSDI and LTD are aware of my activities.

Both programs are supposed to encourage people to return to work without jeapordizing benefits however... LTD companies are much much much more likely to stop your benefits if they get the slightest hint you can work if even part time. They are pretty tough.

It is only fraud if you are working a full time job while claiming benefits and you are not disabled. It isn't fraud if you are working or pursuing a hobby at a certain percentage ess than your salary (or hours) before becoming disabled (and as long as the reason you are working the reduced hours and/or wage is because of your disability) and if you are working towards being able to work full time.

However, it is best to check with someone like an attorney. Pay a qualified (if your policy is ERISA governed an experienced ERISA attorney) to go over your policy with a fine tooth comb with you to see what the parameters are.

Being on LTD benefits means you can no longer work your job/career but it does not mean you are dead. You should be able to do what you can to keep yourself physically and mentally healthy. LTD benefits are an insurance policy that you bought in to protecting you from any unforseeable mishap.

It isn't fair we have to look over our shoulder every time we want to go to a picnic or do a little something that makes us feel better, but we do. Just sitting at home watching TV isn't a life. The LTD carriers WILL try and catch you in a lie - even if you aren't lying so you need to make sure you are doing everything by the book.

I do not condone fraud. I do not think you should use a false name to write because that just looks suspicious. If you can write a paper now and then and it doesn't make your health worse and it makes you feel better by all means check to see how you can go about that without putting your benefits at risk. Seek an advocate on your behalf.

Best of luck!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And now for an answer from someone who administers disabilty plans for a living:

It depends on the terms of the disability policy. In some cases, a certain amount of part time work is acceptable. In others, it is not.

To determine if this is allowable under the specific LTD plan in question, you'd have to look at the LTD plan. Call someone in HR at your employer's for further clarificaion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">