• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to sign?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MsAlias

Hi. I will try to make a long story short. I had a yearly performance review (as did everyone) and I was dissatisfied with it to say the least. Having only been in the position 10 mths and never having a review up to this one, I was shocked to learn its outcome. I argued with my boss's manager that I felt it was unfair, given that I never had any objectives to work towards. I had requested training for months, training that I never rec'd. Getting to the signing part....only 1 dept. out of several had to "sign" their a paper BEFORE their review was conducted. When I went to the manager after my review, I brought proof that I was not trained. He instructed my boss to come up with objectives to work towards. They want me to sign on the dotted line. One objective is not really an objective at all and everyone in the office is guilty of it. I would like to know what my rights are. I do NOT feel comfortable signing this at all. Do I have to sign it?

Thanks,
MsAlias

L

leechris

As Clinton would say, I feel your pain. I am not a lawyer but I have dealt with this issue many times. If the job review only criticizes you, even unfairly, and it does not accuse you of a crime, you probably should sign it. But wait, there is more. The reason you sign is to protect your rights. If you do not sign the review, your manager could secretly place false comments in your personnel file. And by the way, under the Employee Privacy Act, you have a right to review whatever is in your personnel file.

Signing a job review basically means you and your manager discussed what was written on the evaluation, it does not mean you necessarily agree. If the signature line on the review includes a comment such as, "manager and employee reached a consensus of opinion", then write above or below your signature, "Signed under duress. Rebuttal to be attached" and give the rebuttal to your manager or Human Resources for inclusion with your review. Always include a date with your signature. There may be a box to check indicating an agreement was reached, simply check the other box, "Do not agree", and submit a rebuttal on the disputed facts. This is your main defense in a lawsuit to state you never agreed with their actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">