• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA ticket, VA license will VA charge RD?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonayl

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was traveling back to ohio to visit my family when a PA cop pulled me over. He claims he has me at 81 in a 65. I do not believe I was going that fast, however, I was speeding(speedo reading about 80, but according to GPS that's about 5mph faster than I was actually going). My real question, however, is that since I have a VA license, if I just pay the ticket(and therefore plead guilty), will VA charge me with the felony reckless driving since I pled guilty to >80mph? If VA will not charge that, I do not believe it with the time and money required to fight the ticket, however, if VA will charge me with that, I would be facing possible jail time, possible S.O.L., and a HUGE fine(upwards of 2500, if I read VA code correctly). I have a clean record(nothing at all on my license in more than 4 years, and very little before that), and the ticket is citing me for PA code Maximum Speed Limits, Speeding 81 in a 65.

cepe10

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was traveling back to ohio to visit my family when a PA cop pulled me over. He claims he has me at 81 in a 65. I do not believe I was going that fast, however, I was speeding(speedo reading about 80, but according to GPS that's about 5mph faster than I was actually going). My real question, however, is that since I have a VA license, if I just pay the ticket(and therefore plead guilty), will VA charge me with the felony reckless driving since I pled guilty to >80mph? If VA will not charge that, I do not believe it with the time and money required to fight the ticket, however, if VA will charge me with that, I would be facing possible jail time, possible S.O.L., and a HUGE fine(upwards of 2500, if I read VA code correctly). I have a clean record(nothing at all on my license in more than 4 years, and very little before that), and the ticket is citing me for PA code Maximum Speed Limits, Speeding 81 in a 65.

doubt VA will do that much, you insurance may go up big though, for that reason it may be wise to appear.

efflandt

Was your GPS showing nautical miles per hour (knots)? That would be a lower number than mph on your speedometer.

I do not understand why VA goes so overboard on speed penalties. Most states consider less than 20 over the limit to be minor.

Most states are participants in an agreement ("The Driver License Compact") that requires member states to send information to the home state of any driver convicted of a traffic violation.

If you're licensed to drive in Virginia and you are convicted in PA, PA is required to inform Virginia of your conviction. Virginia will then place the conviction on your DMV record.

Check with the VA DMV to see what they will do when this is reported back (before you pay the fine in PA). I'd call a lawyer or two in VA also to double check.

lwpat

Virginia cannot charge you with reckless driving or assess a fine. The ticket will be reported to VA as a speeding ticket and should be four points on your record. Verify with the DMV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">