• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Statute of Limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshuaborne

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

In attempting to renew my license, I was told that because my driving priviledges were suspended in NC, I would have to clear this before I can renew in my current state. Upon inquiry, the NC DMV informed me that I had two outstanding speeding tickets from 2002 that I would need to pay, along with reinstatement charges, etc. This time period correlates with my relocation, so I can only assume that taking care of this got lost in the shuffle of life.

My question is, I know that many states have a statute of limitations on minor things such as this. Can North Carolina place a hold on my driving priviledges based on two traffic citations from FOUR years ago, or are there provisions of law in place to preclude such action?

LSCAP

IN NC people have had their licenses held up for tickets 20-30 years ago.

Get the records or pay.

They are very stubborn about this.

And in NC if your insurance finds out your license was suspended, they can drop you, or RAISE your rates.:(

The Occultist

My question is, I know that many states have a statute of limitations on minor things such as this.
Statute of Limitations refers to the time between when the crime was committed, and when you were charged with it. You were charged when the citation was issued; SoL does not apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">