• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

X EMPLOYER PAYCHECK BOUNCED

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MissNeecy

I am from texas. When i received my last paycheck from my employer after over a week later i found out from the bank that it had bounced. After two letters with a reasonable payment plan nothing has been done. In two years only one$50 payment has been made and there are still a few checks out and i am still in the hole at the bank. I dont have the money to pick up all of the checks that total around almost $500 and i dont want to wait around to be picked up by the police. How much does it cost to file and can I be reimbersed for that? What are my chances of winning? Where do i go to file?

JETX

Q1) How much does it cost to file and can I be reimbersed for that?
A1) To file in Small Claims court in Texas, the fee is usually about $15.00. The cost to serve papers on the Defendant is set by each county (usually $40 to $75.00).
You can call your local Small Claims Court and ask the clerk what the fees are.

Q2) What are my chances of winning?
A2) If the case is as simple as your post says (Employer bounced payroll check and refuses to make good), it should be pretty easy.

Q3) Where do i go to file?
A3) Go to your local county courthouse or court annex. Since you didn't tell us what county you live in, I can't give you specific directtions, but you should be able to look in your local phonebook (under County Government) and find a listing for your Small Claims Court.

Suggestions:
Before you file, make absolutely sure that you are suing the correct person or entity. If your employer is incorporated, you need to sue the corporation through it's 'Agent of Service'. You can find out who that is from the Texas Secretary of State's office. If it is an proprietorship or partnership, you need to name the owner(s) and the business.
Email me directly (address at the bottom) with some specific names, etc. and I will try to help.

gherrera87

i have a simmilar problem

my previous employer claims to have gone bankrupt.
i never got my last check and the day i was supposed to get it, i found out that the previous check before that had bounced.
so now i owe alot of money to my bank because of overdraft charges.
and i don't have a dime to my name. and bills are due.
what do i do?

AL HR

The first thing I would do is go to the bank, explain the situation and see if they will take off some of the fees. They may if, 1. you've had an account with them for a decent length of time and 2. they understand that it was a payroll check that bounced.

Legally, they don't have to refund or back out NSF charges for this type of situation, but will at times.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should begin by starting a new thread of your own and not resurrecting a thread that's been dead since 2001! :eek:

A

Aria

You should begin by starting a new thread of your own and not resurrecting a thread that's been dead since 2001! :eek:
At least is shows that the necroposter tried to search for answers first. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">