• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught with Marijuana-2nd time!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tn1125

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Ok, my nephew is 15 years old...young, impressionable and stupid. One year ago he was caught with one bag of marijuana (small one..I dont know exact size). The courts didnt sentence him..they let him go.

A few days ago, he was caught with FOUR bags and the cops didnt take him to jail or anything. He said he was holding it for a friend. We asked the police officer what will happen to him and they said either juvenile hall or boot camp and that the courts will contact him soon for an arraignment. My question is does anyone know what will happen to him?? What will he be sentenced to?? Yes I know he's really stupid...should we hire a lawyer??

danno6925

No Parents?

He said he was holding it for a friend.
Right, he was holding it until that friend showed up with enough money to buy the dope. The boy's a dealer.

My question is does anyone know what will happen to him??
If your house is anything like my house, a red ass would be one consequence.:D
He is still a juvenile, so he's the responsibility of his parents or legal guardian. I presume from your level of concern that his parents are no longer alive, or willing/able to care for him?

What will he be sentenced to??
That depends entirely on what he's charged with. Find out how much he was holding and whether or not he's going to be charged with intent to deliver. He's already admitted that he was "holding it for a friend" which I hope you know is pure bull puckey - he was holding it until he could SELL it to a friend.

I agree he is stupid, and yes, you will need a lawyer. Let him know that if he insists on breaking the law by smoking/selling pot, he should damned well learn to do it more responsibly than he has been. There are websites that will help him learn what to say and what NOT to say to a cop no matter how much they pressure him. Such as NEVER consenting to a search w/o a warrant. Check out hightimes.com - I would find the exact link for him, but I'm at work and do NOT want that site in the history on my machine!! :eek: You can also look up NORML.org - they're a political action group, but I believe they have some helpful hints on what to do after a bust, as well as tips on avoiding them in the first place.

How did the police come to search him in the first place? Cops don't run around just unzipping backpacks at random, you know. He had to do something to make the cop suspicious enough to have probable cause for a sarch, then he had to agree to the search. Let him know you're there to help him out, but you need the story as straight as he can tell it. It's clear you know he is a pothead, so let him know you don't care about that right now, and that you both need to concentrate on helping him avoid persecution - pun fully intended:)

Good luck.

tn1125

His parents are no longer able to care for him.

He was out with a friend and that guy was carrying some sort of knife and flashing it around. Someone called the cops and my nephew threw the pot away (yes, I know very dumb); the cops saw it and arrested him. I dont know what he's charged with yet, we have to wait for the courts to send us something. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to hold off getting an attorney until I find out what he's charged with

danno6925

I would get the attorney right away. Many will do a consultation for free, and it NEVER hurts to walk into the courtroom with a lawyer - no matter what you're there for!

Besides, that extra time the attorney spends thinking about your nephew's case could allow him to sieze on the one fact that will get your nephew off. I say sign up the local Perry Mason the next chance you get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">