• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defaulted non-criminal civil citation / licence renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgsworldwide

What is the name of your state? Alaska

Recently I was denied renewal of my driver_s license in the State of Alaska. I was informed that the reason for this is that my driving privileges in Massachusetts are either revoked or suspended. I was never licensed in MA. Upon some research I have found this to be due to a defaulted non-criminal civil citation (speeding ticket) I received while traveling in MA back in 2001.

My records indicate that I mailed that citation at the time of receiving it to the RMV requesting a civil hearing before a court magistrate. I never received any notice for a hearing and now over 5 years later it has shown back up and I can't get my expired AK license renewed.

What should be my course of action on this?

Thanks

Last edited:

racer72

What should be my course of action on this?
Contact the state of Massachesetts and find out how much it will cost to pay the ticket and any late fees. There is also likely an arrest warrant too, just hope they don't require you appear in person to take care of the ticket.

seniorjudge

Q: What should be my course of action on this?

A: Surrender in Massachusetts.

According to your own post, you dropped the ball big time:

...My records indicate that I mailed that citation at the time of receiving it to the RMV requesting a civil hearing before a court magistrate. I never received any notice for a hearing and now over 5 years later it has shown back up and I can't get my expired AK license renewed....

tgsworldwide

seniorjudge, How did I drop the ball when The Commenwealth of Massachusetts never sent me any notices for a hearing after requesting one? It seems to me that they are the ones that dropped the ball. They should cooperate with me and give me more options then just telling me I owe them $$$.

racer72, I have contacted MA RMV on this and they want double what the original assessment was for the violation plu a re-instatement fee. The original assessment according to them is now double due to late fees and as for a re-instatement fee I have to pay MA a fee for a license I never even had their. That seems crazy! If I wanted to dispute the ticket in the first place and they never followed through on their part shouldn't I still be able to dispute this? Only seems fair. It seems that via phone the only info I can see to get is I owe ex amount of dollars and that is all I can seem to get.

seniorjudge

Q: How did I drop the ball when The Commenwealth of Massachusetts never sent me any notices for a hearing after requesting one?

A: It is up to YOU to make sure that the thing gets set and heard. You are the one wanting a hearing!

tgsworldwide

Q: How did I drop the ball when The Commenwealth of Massachusetts never sent me any notices for a hearing after requesting one?

A: It is up to YOU to make sure that the thing gets set and heard. You are the one wanting a hearing!
I didn't say you dropped the ball, I said the commonwealth of massachusetts dropped the ball. I did my part by mailing the citation in and requestion a hearing. They never sent me any notice for one and 5 years later suspended my driving privliges in MA.

I shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes, should I?

The Occultist

If I wanted to dispute the ticket in the first place and they never followed through on their part shouldn't I still be able to dispute this? Only seems fair. It seems that via phone the only info I can see to get is I owe ex amount of dollars and that is all I can seem to get.
As SJ pointed out, it is up to you to ensure that things get taken care of. It was very irresponsible of you to assume that the ticket just vanished after you didn't hear back from them. If you found out how much you owe, then pay it, and after you pay it, call back to make sure everything is ok. After you've been assured everything is good, go ahead and call back just to make sure:D

tgsworldwide

In past experiences (in Alaska anyway) if one mails in a citation stating they are not guilty and requests a hearing they get in return a date for that hearing, a letter stating the charges have been dropped or nothing. Usually when one doesn't get a notice in a reasonable amount of time it comes down to nothing and it's over. There is also the fact that if one doesn't recieve the proper notification if due to them in a reasonable amount of time it would be simply forgotten about. If a case like mine where one doesn't get a notice becasue one was never sent it would be assumed the person wasn't in the wrong and they would be granted the rights they should have received originally. The Commonwealth of MA isn't one to want to communicate they would rather just take $$$.

The Occultist

Responsible people make sure loose ends are tied up. They don't try to cheat the system and hope they "forget" about the charges and try to sneak away with no consequences.

Anyways, this is all irrelevant. Whether or not you find it fair just does not matter. You've been instructed on how to get your license back, so do it, or don't. Your choice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">