• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lended money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ShiNaNae

I lent a friend $300 for rent with the VERBAL agreement that he would pay me back in 4-5 days. I foolishly DID NOT have him sign anything. This occured in August 2000 and he keeps promising to pay me back, but I have yet to see the money. I have the proof of when I took the money out of my savings account in the exact sum of $300 and one witness that actually saw me give him the money. That's the only "evidence" I have.
Do I have a case?

J

JenniferH

Send a certified RRR letter to him, outlining the situation: when you lent him $, why, when, repayment, etc. The basic gist, so you have a written statement as evidence if you need to file small claim on it. Also state in letter that if he doesn't respond to this letter in a certain amount of time, i.e. 15 days, 30 days, whatever you choose, that you will take a non response to this letter as acknowlegement that he owes the money and is not attempting to make payment and that you will proceed with legal action.

Then go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">