• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a written agreement considered a legal document?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DestinyC

The person who was bit by my dog states that if I pay his out of pocket expenses (small bite but irrelavent here)he will not sue me. If I put in writing that he will except out of pocket expenses in lieu of filing a law suit against me and asked him to sign it , will this signed document be considered legal and forfeit his right to sue me in the future? (I live in the state of New Jersey and am aware that he has 2 years to sue me for such a case, incident happened in sept 2000) Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dianec1020 said:
The person who was bit by my dog states that if I pay his out of pocket expenses (small bite but irrelavent here)he will not sue me. If I put in writing that he will except out of pocket expenses in lieu of filing a law suit against me and asked him to sign it , will this signed document be considered legal and forfeit his right to sue me in the future? (I live in the state of New Jersey and am aware that he has 2 years to sue me for such a case, incident happened in sept 2000) Thanks
My response:

A "Release of All Claims" is a legal document. The whole purpose of a Release is to forfeit future litigation.

Do not merely make one up on your own. There are specific New Jersey laws that must be taken into account with such a Release. Therefore, go to a stationery store and buy a pre-printed Release; or, call a law office (Personal Injury) and ask to buy one from them.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">