• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract dispute with Gym

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kevinbould

I have been a member of a gym for about 4 months. On joining their was work being carried out in the gym, with regards to a restructure. We asked the sales rep, if on completion there would be a price hike. She said that there were no plans to incresae pirces for individuals but corporate rates would be reviewed. We agreed to join the gym. There is a one month notice period, but this has to be activated PRIOR to your last payment going out, so in effect, depending on when you decide to leave, you could be a member for almost 2 months after deciding to leave.

Refurbishment complete, and our fees go up. We recieved a letter about this early December, but after that months fees had gone out. The meant that under the rules of the contract we had to pay the January fee as well. I cancelled my mandate for this payment at my bank, believing that if they increased the charges in this way, the contract become untenable.

Am I within my rights?

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">