• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gindling

Last year I was arrested for a misdemeanor possession charge in Van Buren county Tenessee. I actually took the blame instead of the driver and owner of the less than an ounce of Marijuana, not really sure why to this day. Well, this is my second possesion charge in the state. The first one I did my probation and paid off the fines, no problem. This time I went to jail for five days, and then failed a urine screen on the third meeting. I promptly left the state. I am now in Idaho and am wanting to get this behind me. I am wondering what would be the charges, and usual sentencing, for this kind of case. And if I try to get a license here in Idaho would the warrent be noticed, and if so, what are the chances of me getting sent back to Tenessee. Or would it be better to just drive to Tenessee and turn myself in and never say i left? Just wondering the best way to get through this, thanks for any help.:confused:

gindling

charges?

okay, but can you tell me anything about the average sentence, or what new charges may be brought against me. Or what is the penalty for failing a urine screen, and then leaving?
any help would be greatly appreciated, I just want to know what ill be getting into when i return...

seniorjudge

okay, but can you tell me anything about the average sentence, or what new charges may be brought against me. Or what is the penalty for failing a urine screen, and then leaving?
any help would be greatly appreciated, I just want to know what ill be getting into when i return...
Just a guess: a year in the county jail.

gindling

Anyone have any guesses on if I would get bail? seeing how this is my first violation and I would be voluntarily turning myself in, a year in the county jail seems a little steep.

smutlydog

Last year I was arrested for a misdemeanor possession charge in Van Buren county Tenessee. I actually took the blame instead of the driver and owner of the less than an ounce of Marijuana, not really sure why to this day. Well, this is my second possesion charge in the state. The first one I did my probation and paid off the fines, no problem. This time I went to jail for five days, and then failed a urine screen on the third meeting. I promptly left the state. I am now in Idaho and am wanting to get this behind me. I am wondering what would be the charges, and usual sentencing, for this kind of case. And if I try to get a license here in Idaho would the warrent be noticed, and if so, what are the chances of me getting sent back to Tenessee. Or would it be better to just drive to Tenessee and turn myself in and never say i left? Just wondering the best way to get through this, thanks for any help.:confused:
Every state and county is different. Not to mention every judge is also different. Only a legal expert or a person that knows someone who has been through something similar in Van Buren county Tennessee can give you an accurate estimate. If it was where I live you would be maxing out at 6 months and if you were lucky maybe 3 months. The bright side of it is that many times the judge will let you go with time served. In other word no probation.

Hire an attorney before turning yourself in. Things always seem to move along a little faster that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">