• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bonjam1024

State of employment = Michigan

My company is in bad finanical straights, and all employees (as of 1/2/01) were told that they would be receiving 1/2 pay (on a consultancy basis i.e. no taxes) and that they could collect unemployment. All employees, except me.

The President of the company thinks that he is doing me such a favor by laying me off (I am 8 1/2 months pregnant), that he expects me to work 5-6 hours a week FOR FREE. He did not make this demand on any other employee...what makes me different? Did he think that he could just "wait me out" and then not have to pay me anything (including unemployment, which doesn't come out of his pocket anyway?!?)

Just wondering if I had any grounds for a suit - I know that I won't get anything from the company, but just to tie this arrogant man up with a legal battle would be worth it.

Thanks
Bonnie

B

buddy2bear

In order to collect unemployment, you must be "ready, willing and able to work." You, at 8 1/2 months pregnant, do not appear to be "able to work." At any rate, even if you could, I doubt that anyone would really hire you in your present condition (of course, they would never say this, but we know it is true)! As for working for Free, that is your decision! It is illegal not to pay wages for work rendered, but if you agree to it, well, you have only yourself to blame. If the company is as bad off as you say it is, why are you still there? Apply for unemployment anyway -- reason for leaving job -- company wants free labor.

B

bonjam1024

OK - you answered your own questions in most cases. I was 7 months pregnant when I found out the company was going under - therefore not very marketable on the job scene. I would have received maternity leave from this company (6 weeks for short-term disability)if they would have kept us on an employee basis and kept our insurance. I did not agree to WORK FOR FREE, that was a demand of the Pres. because he is trying to say that my situation is different then the 10 other people that he laid off on Tuesday.

Thanks for responding

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">