• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first time possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jskeets

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was recently Pulled over in florida for running a stop sign. I was driving with a suspended license but, however it was in the process of being re-instated after finishing my driving class. THe officers that pulled the car over said that they smelled marijuana in the car and asked if anyone had any. One person admited and was taken out of the car and searched. He was not arrested, and everyone else in the car was taken out and searched. Officers found numerous roaches in the center console upon searching my car.

I was arrested and charged with possesion of 5 grams and driving with a suspended license with knowledge. Its my first time being arrested and I have two seperate court dates.

I was told by someones "lawyer" friend that my best bet is pleading no contest because I was not read my rights.... but im pretty sure I should higher a lwayer.

Im just looking for any advice that will benefit me being that its my first time being arrested and Im away from home at college so Im on my own. any advice would be great I have no idea what im facing right now thanks.

JETX

I was driving with a suspended license but, however it was in the process of being re-instated after finishing my driving class.
And of course, that is NOT relevant... as you are guilty of driving WITHOUT a license!!!

I was told by someones "lawyer" friend that my best bet is pleading no contest because I was not read my rights....
ROTFLMAO!!! Of course, there is NO requirement to Mirandize you for either of those charges. A Miranda is only required when you are in custody and being questioned, with the answers used against you in court.

but im pretty sure I should higher a lwayer
Gee... you think??
Might also consider buying a spell checker.

Im just looking for any advice that will benefit me being that its my first time being arrested and Im away from home at college so Im on my own. any advice would be great
Too late for 'advice' on what to do... since you already made the conscious decision to be a 'druggie'. Now it is time to learn to be an adult... and accept the consequences of YOUR conduct.

I have no idea what im facing right now thanks.
Your 'facing' lots of things.
A criminal record.
A very likely conviction, with a large fine and possibly a little jail time.
And certainly a continued revocation of your driving PRIVILEGES, since you clearly don't deserve to.

B

Byrum

And of course, that is NOT relevant... as you are guilty of driving WITHOUT a license!!!

ROTFLMAO!!! Of course, there is NO requirement to Mirandize you for either of those charges. A Miranda is only required when you are in custody and being questioned, with the answers used against you in court.

Gee... you think??
Might also consider buying a spell checker.

Too late for 'advice' on what to do... since you already made the conscious decision to be a 'druggie'. Now it is time to learn to be an adult... and accept the consequences of YOUR conduct.

A criminal record.
And certainly a continued revocation of your driving PRIVILEGES, since you clearly don't deserve to.
Yes, get a lawyer, but he'll probably tell you that you have no chance of getting out of it. A first time conviction should only result in probation, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulkamainac

Yes, get a lawyer, but he'll probably tell you that you have no chance of getting out of it. A first time conviction should only result in probation, though.
If I was in your situation (the poster) I would definitely get a lawyer and if you can't afford it get one appointed to you. You can even join a rehab support group and get some help that way as a judge more than likely won't be as harsh on you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulkamainac

If I was in your situation (the poster) I would definitely get a lawyer and if you can't afford it get one appointed to you. You can even join a rehab support group and get some help that way as a judge more than likely won't be as harsh on you.
Why was my post edited and not the guy who referred to the guy as a druggie, or saying that he deserved to get caught. Let me guess because they are a friend of the moderator right? I mean not that it matters anyway but I didn't think I posted anything that needed to be edited.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited:

sgtdanmurphy

Why was my post edited and not the guy who referred to the guy as a druggie, or saying that he deserved to get caught. Let me guess because they are a friend of the moderator right? I mean not that it matters anyway but I didn't think I posted anything that needed to be edited.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I think you got it. The "senior members' are allowed to take the low road and violate the TOS at will with their rude, insulting, mocking posts... perhaps it is in lew of the mental health treatment they really need...

sgtdanmurphy

A criminal record.
and you are facing the "fact" that you are a pathetically sad excuse for a human being!:eek: my advuice for you jetx would be to "play" in traffic for a while since you clearly should not enjoy the "right" to operate anything else but you feet on the pavement.

JETX

and you are facing the "fact" that you are a pathetically sad excuse for a human being!:eek: my advuice for you jetx would be to "play" in traffic for a while since you clearly should not enjoy the "right" to operate anything else but you feet on the pavement.
Awwww.. poor little baby. This captain outranks your lowly little pathetic rank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">