• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation seach question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taxi12397

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA
My grandmother is on probation for 10 years. She is old, weak, and needs taken care of. My spouse and I have chosen to take care of her at her home.
QUESTION: Can our room be searched by her probation officer or any one else acting on their behalf? What, if any, part of the home that my spouse and I share with her, would be considered off limits? Is it possible our cars, the shed, or our mobile home/van would be considered off limits as well, in these searches?
I undestand she committed a crime and must pay etc...., and sometimes family members pay as well, I am just concerned as to if any room or space being private and not susceptable to a search from her probation officer or the likes.
WHAT AM I AFRAID OF? I am a smoker/toker. I dont want her to go to jail for VOP at 35 years. I have been told if they find one joint, or anything like that, in my room, she would be violated and could face 35 years in jail.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

The Occultist

You'd have to look at the actual terms of the probation, and since nobody on this board has a copy of your grandmother's probation agreement, we can only speculate that yes, odds are nothing on the residence will be off limits to scheduled or random searches.

If you're that concerned for your grandmother, then perhaps you should get rid of the drugs you scum.

taxi12397

Interesting reply. Guess anyone who smokes a joint these days is scum. Currently I have nothing in the home. I do care bout my grandmother. That would by why I asked the question. I wanted to smoke in my room and wanted to know if she would go to jail if probation officers showed up, or if they found something in my room. Thanks for answering the question. The extra scum part is not exactly true. I am 44 and being put into a position of taking care of her. She is the one who is on probation. I do not know the paper work you discuss, although I am sure it exists. But simply, I will keep my smoking at a hotel or not at all, the way it is now.

CdwJava

Any room or area of the property that grandma has access to can be searched. Your smoking or possessing weed on the property would put her freedom in jeopardy. Best to keep it and all indicia and paraphernalia away.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">