• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video tape trading and copyright law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlippiner

I am thinking of starting a video tape trading club where people can get together to trade rare and specialty tapes. I am NOT looking to trade any reproductions or movies taped off the TV, only original commercial tapes. I know that tape trading is legal, however, I would like to charge a fee for either facilitating the trade or access to the list of tapes. I have been reading about Copyright Law Section 17 but that doesnt seem to apply since these are not taped off the TV. Does anyone know what the law is in regards to this or where I can find more information? Thanks,

J

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

§ 108. Limitations on exclusive rights: Reproduction by libraries and archives39

§ 109. Limitations on exclusive rights: Effect of transfer of particular copy or phonorecord40

http://www.loc.gov/copyright/title17/circ92.html#109

These authors do have rental rights, like license fees. Check out blockbuster does it because in essence you are charging rental fees

ALawyer

If you own a rare book, you can sell it. You can also create a store or similar marketplace to allow others to buy and sell rare books. Same with video tapes.

However if your bookstore sells stolen books, or xerox copies of books, that's a no no. Ditto with purlioned videotapes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">