• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a buyer try to return a car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jki902

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I recently sold my car for $4500 through an online ad. I told the buyer beforehand that the car needed an oil change. I also told her she could take it to a mechanic before she bought it to make sure she knew exactly what she was getting. She said she was prepared for a few minor expenses and declined. Five days later, she called to say she stopped payment on her check because the car may need a new transmission. She wants me to pay half of the repair or she will return my car.

I know that car doesn't need a new transmission. But beyond that, didn't she buy the car "as is" especially since she didn't take my invitation to take it to a mechanic? I did not misrepresent the condition of the car.

Is it legal for her to stop payment on the check? Is small claims court my only option?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">