• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I register an Abandoned Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klum00

Baltimore, MD

A motorcycle has been sitting on my street for over 2 months with an impound notice sticker on it. The night before the bike was to be taken away I pushed it off the street into my backyard. I am was not trying to steal the motorcycle, just didnt want someones property to be impounded, because I know first hand it isnt fun. I then asked all my neighbors and no one claimed ownership.

The bike has Texas tags expiring in 2005 on it. I contacted the Motor Vehicle Assosiation there, and it has not been reported stolen.

My question is, is it possible for me to gain ownership of the motorcycle and register it legally without having a title? I asked the officer on the phone when I was calling to see if it was stolen, and was told that the police have to come out and impound an abandoned vehicle. What can I do to register this bike? Any help is greatly appriciated, thanks!

fairisfair

you did steal the motorcycle, whether or not that was your intent. You removed it from the location where it was left (presumably by the owner) and secreted it in your backyard. Go ahead and apply for an abandoned title, chances are that the motorcycle will come up stolen and you can do your explaining to the police at that time.

The only way for you to gain ownership legally is to call the police, allow them to impound the bike, and buy it later at a police auction.

What the heck, don't you think people would make a business of doing what you did IF IT WAS LEGAL???

Last edited:

klum00

I know legally I "stole" the bike. but i mean common, it was sitting infront of MY house unregistered for over 2 months, with an impound notice on it. Obviously who ever owns it no long wants it. I spoke to every neighbor within a block of my house.

Most likely I will end up putting it back in the street and watching the police take it away.

2901bruce

Is this really a serious post? :rolleyes:

Put the bike back where you found it before you get arrested for felony theft.
Also, don't let one of your neighbors see you placing it back. If the police ask them questions, and the bike is stolen, you will look like the thief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">