• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights to sue roofing and siding contractor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caripsy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

We hired a contractor that is licensed in Nj to do a roofing and siding job on my home. He gave us a simple contract signed by him stating that he would do the roof and be responsible for the permit and an oral agreement that he would do the siding and provide us with a written agreement for that. He took about 2 months to complete almost all of the roof. He would make up an excuse everytime we asked to see the permit. He began taking down the siding before completeing the roof. Twice we had his worker knock on our door stating that he had not paid them and they were leaving unless they were paid. The first time he came and took care of it. The second time he never returned calls. We recieved a call from the town that he had bounced a check and the roof permit was not valid and he had not applied for a siding permit. We then hired a new contractor and he immediately applied for the permits and we posted them. 5 days later he shows up alone and we told him to leave that we had found someone else and the reasons why. The new contractor informed us that he had to finish sealing the chimney and nail a few more shingles he had not done. The small area of siding he had done was not straight and had to be taken down and put up again. Do I have a case to sue him, I believe he is insured. I tried to get the siding contract but he kept making excuses about going threw a divorce, seemed depressed and I allowed myself to be manipulated. I do not have a written contract for the siding. I call him and he does not answer, and his mailbox is full.

BL

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

We hired a contractor that is licensed in Nj to do a roofing and siding job on my home. He gave us a simple contract signed by him stating that he would do the roof and be responsible for the permit and an oral agreement that he would do the siding and provide us with a written agreement for that. He took about 2 months to complete almost all of the roof. He would make up an excuse everytime we asked to see the permit. He began taking down the siding before completeing the roof. Twice we had his worker knock on our door stating that he had not paid them and they were leaving unless they were paid. The first time he came and took care of it. The second time he never returned calls. We recieved a call from the town that he had bounced a check and the roof permit was not valid and he had not applied for a siding permit. We then hired a new contractor and he immediately applied for the permits and we posted them. 5 days later he shows up alone and we told him to leave that we had found someone else and the reasons why. The new contractor informed us that he had to finish sealing the chimney and nail a few more shingles he had not done. The small area of siding he had done was not straight and had to be taken down and put up again. Do I have a case to sue him, I believe he is insured. I tried to get the siding contract but he kept making excuses about going threw a divorce, seemed depressed and I allowed myself to be manipulated. I do not have a written contract for the siding. I call him and he does not answer, and his mailbox is full.
You don't say what the money differences are you paid the orig. contractor and the new one .

Sure you can sue , present your case with documents and proofs .

You might however wish to make a complaint with your Local ( state ) Attorney General's Office Of Consumer Affairs .

If they have similar complaints on file , after a pattern , they will initiate their own investigation , on behalf of the complainants. .

You might want to ask first when you call about any complaints filed .

caripsy

Thank you for responding. I actually am out quite a bit of money. I gave him $18000. $5000 of which was for materials. I owed him $2000 more. The new contractor is charging 13000 to fix anything he did not do correctly and finish the siding. I should have never given him this much. He actually left his ladders behind and two semi expensive machines.

caripsy

You don't say what the money differences are you paid the orig. contractor and the new one .

Sure you can sue , present your case with documents and proofs .

You might however wish to make a complaint with your Local ( state ) Attorney General's Office Of Consumer Affairs .

If they have similar complaints on file , after a pattern , they will initiate their own investigation , on behalf of the complainants. .

You might want to ask first when you call about any complaints filed .
Thank you for responding. I actually am out quite a bit of money. I gave him $18000. $5000 of which was for materials. I owed him $2000 more. The new contractor is charging 13000 to fix anything he did not do correctly and finish the siding. I should have never given him this much. He actually left his ladders behind and two semi expensive machines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">