• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automated speeding tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pugilist

What is the name of your state?CA

I saw the inquiry about an Arizona photo radar ticket, and the video, and wanted to comment but could not due to the thread being locked for some reason (I like run on sentences) so I am commenting here.

I think the video the OP was told about was a video, taken by the RedFlex camera, of the speeding incident. Maybe about 10 seconds long. At least that is what they do here in CA, on red light camera tickets. The roadside cameras are definitely NOT being used to cite people who are watching videos while driving. But that would be a much better use of the cameras than is citing 131,000 people (in 8 months in Scottsdale) for 'going with the flow' on the freeway.

One other comment. If anyone gets a photo radar ticket in San Jose, CA, they should fight it using a demurrer. The reason you can do that is that there is no provision in CA law allowing service by mail of speeding tickets, and the lack of proper service deprives the court of jurisdiction. There is a section (40518) that allows service by mail for red light camera tickets, but that section makes it clear that it is not for speeding tickets. However, that could change. In January, State Senator Sheila Kuehl will probably be trying, again, to float a bill to allow speeding tickets by mail. She has done so twice before...

Pug

Last edited:

cepe10

What is the name of your state?CA

I saw the inquiry about an Arizona photo radar ticket, and the video, and wanted to comment but could not due to the thread being locked for some reason (I like run on sentences) so I am commenting here.

I think the video the OP was told about was a video, taken by the RedFlex camera, of the speeding incident. Maybe about 10 seconds long. At least that is what they do here in CA, on red light camera tickets. The roadside cameras are definitely NOT being used to cite people who are watching videos while driving. But that would be a much better use of the cameras than is citing 131,000 people (in 8 months in Scottsdale) for 'going with the flow' on the freeway.

One other comment. If anyone gets a photo radar ticket in San Jose, CA, they should fight it using a demurrer. The reason you can do that is that there is no provision in CA law allowing service by mail of speeding tickets, and the lack of proper service deprives the court of jurisdiction. There is a section (40518) that allows service by mail for red light camera tickets, but that section makes it clear that it is not for speeding tickets. However, that could change. In January, State Senator Sheila Kuehl will probably be trying, again, to float a bill to allow speeding tickets by mail. She has done so twice before...

Pug
Agree with you very much. The distracted driver is a much bigger problem than the fully aware and attentive driver traveling at the 85% speed....and design speed of the highway.

Nice find on the Kuehl - why does she not just go for a black box speed recorder in every car??? and automatic points with zero tolerance??? that would clear 99% of the drivers of the road:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">