• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

freinds forever

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wiskraut4

A friend of twenty years agreed to put in a new furnace and airconditioner in my home. I paid him by check up front for all costs. He did not complete the work and refuses to return phone calls. I have some of the work completed, but there is still more to do. He never gave me a receipt for either unit. I therefore have no warrenty. I am going to small claims court. I have the signed check, a lot of his tools that he left, and my word. He has hired a lawyer. My question is how do I prove that he was contracted to do the job? Is the check signed by him a legal contract? How can I gain compensation for the work that I did to complete the job? I don't have a bill like I would if I hired someone to finish it. How do I define the amount of compensation I should get for not getting a receipt and therefore having no warranty?

[Edited by wiskraut4 on 01-06-2001 at 11:41 AM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">