• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to stop at stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pofigist

What is the name of your state?
CA

I was riding an electric bicycle on the shoulder of a rural road, approaching a T-junction with an all-way stop at about 20mph. The shoulder on which I was moving continues uninterruptedly past the intersection, along the crossbar of the “T”, not interfering with main traffic merging at the intersection. A bunch of cars were lined up at the intersection, waiting their turns. I passed the line of cars on my left, slowed down a bit before the stop sign, scanning the intersection for potential obstacles. After finding nothing to be in my way, I continued along the shoulder at reduced speed, not stopping at the stop sign, passing by the merging traffic. One of the cars in line was a police car, and the officer issued me a ticket ($150) for running over the stop sign.

Do I have any chance appealing it?

Thank you,

Diane

CdwJava

What is your defense? From what you describe, you DID violate CVC 22450.

I suppose you could always go to court hoping the officer doesn't show up. If it is available for this offense, you might be able to take traffic school to avoid the points and potential insurance increases.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">