• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to vehicle ECU by remote starter installer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trucker

We purchased and had installed a remote starter for my new truck ($300). Having trouble starting the truck (having to crank the engine like it was very very cold), I took the vehicle to the dealership service shop and they told me that the company who installed the remote starter unit broke off the pin on the ECU unit (computer) in the vehicle that regulates the coolant sensor, and that the ECU unit would have to be replaced. $1100. The remote starter company has agreed to pay for parts and labor to repair the truck. But I also want the remote starter removed from the vehicle, and my money back, and want them to pay for the rental car expense that I have incurred while waiting for the ECU part to be ordered and installed. 3 days so far at $35/day, will probably be 6 days before it's done. The remote starter company refuses to remove the unit from the vehicle or refund my money because they say the unit is not defective, and they refuse to pay for my rental car expense. They are right about the unit not being defective, but I don't want it in my truck. I want the dealership service shop to remove it, the remote starter company to refund my money for it and pay for the rental car expense. They want to hook the remote starter back up (assuring me of course that they won't hurt anything this time). I don't want them to hook it up or touch the truck again. Do they have any legal obligation to refund my money for the remote starter unit or pay for expenses I incurred due to the damage they caused? Thank you for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">