• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Add charge if I plead not guilty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwerelic

I'm out of Poughkeepsie NY
I was pulled over for and an unsafe start, the officer give me a ticket for a "load exsaust (modified)" when he handed me the ticket he told me I can either plead guilty, mail it in, and pay the ticket or pled not guilty go to court and have him change it to an unsafe start ticket which would be point on my licence.

First off, can he do that? Increase the charge like that, it seems illegal to me to pressure me into pleading guilty with the threat adding charges of which I have no record.

Second there was no unsafe start. I'm driving a 3600lb car, with 250hp, front wheel drive, summer tires, and no limited slip dff. It had been raining slightly so the ground was slick. I was coming up to a car at a light while applying my brakes- in the center lane of a 3 lane road. I was doing about 5 mph when the light turned green. The stopped car hesitated and I put my blinker on and pulled around him, my car at that speed dropped a gear (auto trans) and spun a bit of tire. I did accelerate away but was well within the 40 mph limit. He came up behind me a block or 2 up the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">