• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Analog Drug Sales

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RTZ

I am in California.

I run a small research company, focused on artificial intelligence, neurochemistry, neuropharmacology, high assurance information systems, cyberwarfare related techology, and psychological profiling of information security processes.

I have worked in the past with defense contractors and directly with the US military and a few of our products definitely qualify as "dual-use." Accordingly we have a strict terms of sale agreement regarding client use of items.

Recently I received a request for quote from another Lab, seeking a particular chemical. (We do not advertise this chemical but we do advertise various sourcing services since we have a few connections perhaps not available to newer, less established firms.) I was unfamiliar with the specific chemical in question, but I knew that others in its class are "Schedule I" (the highest class of illegality) by the DEA. After a bit of searching, it would seem that this chemical is not explicitly illegal. It is apparently considered an "analog" of an illegal drug and may not be bought or sold with the intent of human consumption.

Due care does not seem to be that clear in this case, it seems that so long as they are not contacting me from analog_drug_user@ illegal-drugs.com and they sign the normal terms of sale agreement that covers scope of use, I should be fine. On the other hand, I am not sure what a legal use of this drug would be, so it seems like I would have to suspect they're shady. Lastly, I don't want to start treating my customers like criminals.

We are too small to have a dedicated legal department and I have called a few local lawyers, but none were particularly helpful, I think this is a fairly exotic situation. Any advice or thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Rob

beetwise

These are the ones that the government likes to keep track of. Is it one of these?

Precursor Chemicals Controlled Under U.S. Federal Law

Acetic anhydride
Acetone
N-acetylanthranilic acid
Anthranilic Acid
Benzyl chloride
Benzyl cyanide
2-Butanone (MEK or methyl ethyl ketone)
Ephedrine
Ergometrine (ergonovine)
Ergotamine
Ethyl amine
Ethyl ether
N-Ethyl ephedrine
N-Ethylpseudoephedrine
Hydiodic acid
Hydrochloric acid
Isosafrole
Lysergic acid
Methylamine
3,4-Methylephedrine-2-propanone
N-Methylpseudoephedrine
Norpsuedoephedrine
Phenylacetic acid
Phenylpropanolamine
Piperidine
Piperonal
Potassium permanganate
Propionic anhydride
Pseudoephedrine
Safrole
Sulfuric acid
Toluene

RTZ

beetwise, it is not one of those, it is a tryptamine. I know other members of the tryptamine family are bad and this is what triggered my research. As ot turns out, I was correct it is, in fact a Schedule I analog.

seniorjudge, I have not. I did contact the FBI a few years back after I received and RFQ for proximity fuses (which I did not carry or even have a source for) when I was working with an RF design house. In the end they were quite flippant with me and wasted a lot of my time with thin accusations about what I may have done to attract such an individual.

Plus, I'd hate to lose a potentially perfectly good customer through paranoia. We are a small, very niche firm and I'd rather not be throwing away contracts, even those for just a few thousand dollars without a good cause.

My thinking on the matter, is that it must have some reasonable, non-human consumption use or it would be Schedule I as apparently the DEA is aware of this chemical and has made busts of it. I have very little exposure to such matters though and I used to think the drug laws were cut and dry and now it turns out that carpet fresh as cocaine is illegal and selling illegal drugs as carpet fresh is legal. Craziness.

cheers,

Rob

Last edited:

smutlydog

RTZ, be very very careful. Make certain you know what the chemical you're selling could be used for. If I were you, I'd contact the DEA and ask before agreeing to sell anyone stuff like that. The last thing your company needs is to have a Federal investigator show up after one of their drug raids found chemical packaging with your company logo on it.

My wife used to be a customer service rep for a very large chemical company. She told me they'd get calls from people all the time trying to buy narcotics components, explosive related chemicals, and even far more dangerous substances.

A person claiming to be a grad student from the University of A would call up and say he'd like to buy X number of grams of (insert dangerous or illegal substance). Yes, he'd like it shipped directly to his dorm room and, oh by the way, he'll pay for it using his personal credit card.

The reps all had contact numbers for the DEA, FBI, and BATF on speed dial and made frequent use of them.
I agree with this post,

It could also be a reverse DEA sting operation. If something doesn't seem right then it probably isn't. In the business your in you will always be one slight mistake away from a long prison sentense.

RTZ

I think the best bet is to give them a big lead time of like six months and apologize stating how unusual this is.

This way I clear myself without being insulting.

thanks,

Rob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">