• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

traffic cam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harleydj427

What is the name of your state? OH

I just received two speeding tickets in the mail. I was never pulled over and there is not a camera in the vicinity of where I was cited. The tickets were within 6 minutes of each other and at the same exact place. If there was an actual police man there, I should have been pulled over the first time and I would have avoided the second ticket. Can I fight this and win or should I just pay both $100 fine? I would be more willing to pay the first and fight the second, again if I were pulled over the first time there would not have beem a second ticket. If you need more info I can give you a website with the citation number and pin. I need to give notice within 20 days ( received tix on 11/24/06) before fine increases and I lose the opportunity to fight it court. What should I do?

harleydj427

Honestly I cant recall if I was speeding. I drive that way everyday. I went driving this morning to see where the posted sign was, and it was right in front of the address that i got the ticket. i guess I had just assumed before that the speed limit was 35 becauase the only other posted speed limit sign on the S/B side of the street is about a half mile away, and it is posted on the corner that you only see if you turn off the main street and not the boulevard turnaround (that is what I use).There are always cars parked over there, so I usually pay attention to the parked cars and not the posted signs. Also when I was driving this morning, I was looking for the camera and could not find it. If it was an actual officer clocking, why wouldnt he just pull me over. Also, six minutes in between...that just seems funny to me. I dont recall turning around to have come through that direction, but there is text under the picture.

Should I pay one and fight the other?

The Occultist

The ONLY defense to a speeding charge is NOT SPEEDING. You yourself admitted you have no idea whether or not you were speeding, so you have absolutely no defense.

By the way, I'm not buying the whole "I was paying attention to parked cars, not signs" argument; to figure out a speed limit, you need to merely glance at the sign, not concentrate on it.

The ONLY defense to a speeding charge is NOT SPEEDING
Is this where you say "Honest judge I wasn't speeding".

Not speeding in the first place may help prevent a speeding charge but once you have a charge, the defense of "Not speeding" is no defense. You need to find issues with the evidence (unless you have some type of independent verification that you weren't speeding) against you.

In your case I would investigate the second charge six minutes later. If you can show somehow that you weren't there, you might be able to show a potential equipment malfunction.

JETX

Is this where you say "Honest judge I wasn't speeding".
No, this is where you act like a mature, responsible member of society... and not be stupid and break the law... so that you DON'T get the opportunity of having to explain it to the judge.

Last edited:

harleydj427

Only to JetX..normally I wouldnt take offense to someone insulting my intelligence but because you clearly dont live in Cleveland Oh where the streets are retarded and the speed limit on one street can vary from 25-50 i seem to be finding exception. These forums are supposed to be used for homest advice not insults. I work for the state, and believe me there is more than a good chance there was a mistake made, so please dont pass judgement on people and assume that they are irresponsible when they are just asking a question.

Last edited:

harleydj427

Senior Judge--

Still wondering about the second ticket... I did not go back around the square to make it back to wherever the mysterious camera was, But there is text at the bottom of the pics so how would I refute that? Even if I did go back around the square, it would have been to run back into my house and then go back that way, which would take more than 6 minutes, even speeding.

I am trying to be responsible but the whole situation is sketchy at best.

efflandt

Were you wearing the same shirt in both photos. Maybe the date setting was wrong or hard to read on one of them. Similar time on different dates makes sense than hitting the same camera 6 minutes later.

Only to JetX..normally I wouldnt take offense to someone insulting my intelligence but because you clearly dont live in Cleveland Oh where the streets are retarded and the speed limit on one street can vary from 25-50 i seem to be finding exception. These forums are supposed to be used for homest advice not insults. I work for the state, and believe me there is more than a good chance there was a mistake made, so please dont pass judgement on people and assume that they are irresponsible when they are just asking a question.
Not worry she thinks this is judge judy... and flames everyone...with little to no basis for doing so. There are a few hysterical women "senior members" like that here. ignore them.

Hope you challenged the tickets...

No, this is where you act like a mature, responsible member of society... and not be stupid and break the law... so that you DON'T get the opportunity of having to explain it to the judge.
That really cracks me up. What superb advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">