• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No bond warrant, currently probation until 2009, what will happen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bronlaw

Facts:
Harris Co. TX (Houston)
36 yr. old black male
currently on probation for crack possesion unitl May 2009
failed UA while on probation in Feb 2006 and as a result did outpatient rehab
failed hair follicle in Oct 2006 and as a result have a no bond warrant (reporting to PO later today likely to be incarcerated)
priors include a marijuana poss. charge in 1994 (2 years probation)

This is my brother in law ... he is likely getting arrested today when he reports in for probation officer meet. He called in over Thanksgiving to a bail bond and learned of his no bond warrant.

Time will tell, but do you guys think his probation will get revoked? Or is he just in awaiting a meet with the judge to do more intensive rehab?

I will update this thread as details emerge.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bronlaw

update 1: bro in law WAS arrested at PO mtg. The PO is not giving us any details at all. She is saying call back in a couple of days.

garrula lingua

The PO probably isn't sure what will happen.

BIL has a right to a hearing to prove up the probation violation (...if BIL won't admit the PV, though it's usually easy to prove & is by a lower standard than jury trial).

Judges frequently request an updated 'Probation Report/Presentence Report' (usu takes approx 2-3 weeks), to use all info in setting sentence (crim history & some social background).
...the Judge can decide immediately, also -it will be up to the Judge to decide the sentence for BIL, usually with a recommendation from the PO & the Prosecutor.

You'd have to know this Judge's history on rulings to be able to give an educated guesstimate of the sentence.
I guess there's a few (??) lenient Judges in Texas (???).

bronlaw

You'd have to know this Judge's history on rulings to be able to give an educated guesstimate of the sentence.
We found out his judge ... Susan Brown ... she was the one who gave him probation in May/June 2005.

How would I go about looking up rulings of her honor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">