• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold vehicle with no title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I am posting this for my friend, who does not have internet. Okay, on the 13th of November they bought a car that was posted on a local classifieds site. They bought this car for 650 dollars and was then told that the title would be there in a few days. The man said he bought it from a friend and was waiting for it to come back. So he sold them this car without having the title. ( I know not smart of them to buy it). Anyway, so on the way home my friend got a ticket because they didnt have it licensed,and then the same day it broke down and was towed with the permission of the guy who actually owns the car. He told the towing company to just junk it that it is not worth anything. So my friends called the towing company and they wont release the car without the title and the fees are already up to 150 dollars. They called the original owner and he said he sold the car and it is out of his hands. So they called the guy they bought it from and he said he has the title finally and for them to come get it. Ok so now the problem is getting the car out. They cannot get the car without the title and they cannot get it titled without inspection,licensing etc. So what can they do? Can they take the guy who sold them the car, to small claims court to get their money back? What are their options. If so what can they sue him for? Ie: Court costs, loss of wages, etc. Thank you for reading this and any advice would be great. Thank you!..I forgot to mention that the bill of sale has the wrong VIN on it? Will that make a difference? It is off by one number. Thanks

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

Missouri revised statutes - Section 301.210.4. It shall be unlawful for any person to buy or sell in this state any motor vehicle or trailer registered under the laws of this state, unless, at the time of the delivery thereof, there shall pass between the parties such certificates of ownership with an assignment thereof, as provided in this section, and the sale of any motor vehicle or trailer registered under the laws of this state, without the assignment of such certificate of ownership, shall be fraudulent and void. http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/c300-399/3010000210.htm

This should help get the money back.

Missouri revised statutes - Section 301.210.4. It shall be unlawful for any person to buy or sell in this state any motor vehicle or trailer registered under the laws of this state, unless, at the time of the delivery thereof, there shall pass between the parties such certificates of ownership with an assignment thereof, as provided in this section, and the sale of any motor vehicle or trailer registered under the laws of this state, without the assignment of such certificate of ownership, shall be fraudulent and void. http://www.moga.state.mo.us/statutes/c300-399/3010000210.htm

This should help get the money back.
Thank you for all your answers. The guy says he has the title but they are wanting to get their money back and leave it at that. They are afraid if they go to court all the judge will do is make him give them the title. They cannot afford to have it taken out of towing, by the time they get this all squared away. So I will tell them what I have found out here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">