• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan (East Lansing) Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taproot426

East Lansing, MI

I go to Michigan State U., and 2 saturdays ago, i was pulled over for a 48/35, the cop had a speed trap, and literally 40 feet down the road in the direction i was going ( before an intersection) it goes up to 45 speed limit.

He follows me and i didnt completely stop at a red when he pulled me over.
He ticketed me for 45/35, and warning for disobeying stop light and put that i was going 48 on the ticket under the warnings. If i get an informal hearing is there a chance that i'llg et the 48/35?

I don't want any points, and i wanted to know if i should get a lawyer. Right now, if i don't hire one, i plan to get an informal hearing and plead guilty, because

1) I am not used to that area, its about 8-10 miles away from MSU campus
2) The speed limit changes before an intersections- and as far as i ever knew that road is 45, closer to campus, it wasonly that section that was 35
3) I have a good record, 3 years ago i had a 21 mph over, and thats it
4) I was renting a movie on a saturday night, there are 1000 other wrong things i could be doing to break the law (I'm not goign to say that in court), but i'm a responisble kid

I'm just hoping that i get no points, i dont car eabout the money? Does anyone have any advice? I have no experience with this and i have just been trying to read online. Can anyone reccomend a lawyer? Thanks

cepe10

Michingan speed measurements

After a few advers court rulings, Michigan is a state where making proper speed measurments is taken fairly seriously.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_3493_8224-16134--,00.html

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1589_3493_8224-16085--,00.html

This opens up defense options when the LEO was not trained or did not follow the procedures (Based on auditing, it is very likely), so you should read the materials in this link and consider some questioning along these lines if you want a defense strategy.

LEO may not be certified by the Michigan Commission On Law Enforcement Standards. Device may not be currently calibrated and used in accordance with the training and instructions, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">