• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

waiting period for STD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephaniew

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
My brother just recently had back surgery. He was off of work at the end of October but didn't have his surgery until 11/10. His employer didn't have any work for him because of his lifting restrictions. He did call in the STD on 11/1. He just recevied a letter today saying he will be getting paid starting date of 11/13. I only thought there was a waiting period of a week or so. Anyone know why he had to wait 3 weeks to start getting paid. By the way, as of today, he still hasn't recevied a check yet.

moburkes

Ask his STD insurance company. The waiting period is listed in his paperwork. This isn't something that is arbitrarily decided by his employer. He called in the claim, but there is paperwork to be filled out that needs to be signed by his doctor. He should be able to have it faxed back in directly from the doctor's office. Once it is received by the insurance company, they will issue the first check for all the prior money that is owing. After that the will usually issue a weekly check.

So, the moral of the story is to have him contact the insurance company or the employer for the rest of the paperwork, and to ask the insurance company about the waiting period.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The waiting period can be anything. The law does not dictate that it be one week or any other length of time (except in workers comp cases). The waiting period will be determied by the terms of the policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">