• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billing Homeowners for contractors mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HouseTroubles2

What is the name of your state? IL

Hello Advisors,

My home is currently undergoing remodeling and the following issues came up:

1. Building Plans / License approved by the city [no problems here]
2. Contractor did not follow instructions on the blue print that noted the use of a specific type of insulation
3. Found out 50% through construction
4. Contractor correcting MISTAKE [but blaming the hell out of the city...I called the city and since the approved plans contain the note, it’s up to the architect / contractor to sort it out]
5. Contractor BILLED us for the correction :confused:

It doesn't make any sense to me that they will bill US [the home owners] for a mistake they made. Does this make sense to you? Is there any possible legal action I could take against the architect or contractor? Or some type of ordinance I can reference when I negotiate something? Seems like they are trying to squeeze more money out of us!

Thanks for your help and please let me know any questions you may have...

lcannister

Exactly what are you being billed for? The labor to correct or the added cost of this special insulation?

What does your contract say about any additional costs? Surely if you are building a home that cost over 5K you have an Atty that is involved in the process for JUST such incidents that do come up and quite frequently. IF you do have an Atty then ask him/her if you have legal remedy based on the C O N T R A C T S!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">