• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exploitation of elderly and disabled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

synapse

Three years ago my mother ran her own accounting firm for medium sized businesses in Missouri. In January 1998, she developed dementia and my brother took her to live with him in Kansas. It wasn't long till he realized she needed full time care. He agreed she should live with me in Texas since I am self-employed and work at home. While me and my
family moved to a larger house to enable her to have her own room, my mother went to visit her youngest sister for a couple of weeks after her sister insisted. During that two week visit, my aunt sold my mother's home and office, cashed in her life insurance policies, and convinced mother to live with her. When I began to ask the rest of the family for help, my aunt began making slanderous and libelous remarks about me and my brother. Since my mother was the eldest in her family, they were hesitant to get involved as she had always been a very independant person,
very much in charge of her own affairs. Long story short,
I filed for guardianship in one county with the help of the public administrator, only to find out they were no longer living there. I reported the exploitation to the Missouri Division of Aging several times and once called for emergency assistance after my aunt emailed me saying mother was dying. The Division of Aging failed to send an ambulance, and the social worker who interviewed mother said she was able to make her own decisions. I told my aunt to take her to the emergency room but she said she could not get mother to go. Last November, mother agreed for me to come and get her. When we got back to Texas, I immediately took her to several doctors and she was diagnosed with dementia, Parkinson's Disease, and Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. She has been an insulin dependant diabetic for many years. The medication my aunt was giving her caused her to have mini-strokes and the cardiologist here said she was overmedicated to the point of being immobile. I contacted the prosecuting attorney in the town where my aunt lives to inquire about filing charges against my aunt. But I was told that the Missouri Division of Aging had to file a report of abuse before the PA could get involved. My brother had a Durable Power of Attorney for our mom but when he told our aunt to return mother to us, she hired an attorney and had it revoked.
Meanwhile, my aunt has been stalking mother and sending her cards with manipulative statements in it. I refuse to let her speak to mother on the phone and mom says she doesn't want to speak to her. But she keeps calling. Last week, my uncle, who sides with my aunt but doesn't know anything about what is going on, called and when I refused to let him speak to mother, he said,my brother "isn't worth the powder to blow his brains out". The premise of both my aunt
and my uncle's actions, according to them, is because my brother and I are adopted (at birth) and mother needs to be with "blood relatives". My questions are; how can I stop them from harrassing us, making defamatory remarks about us, and get them to pay back what they took from my mother?

Eve

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">