• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hines_dsm

What is the name of your state? Oregon I was arrested on drug charges and then released on my own recognizance. How long do the courts have to give me an arraignment in the state of Oregon?

JETX

What is the name of your state? Oregon I was arrested on drug charges and then released on my own recognizance. How long do the courts have to give me an arraignment in the state of Oregon?
You were already arraigned when you were read the charges, made your plea and received the PR 'bond'.

arraignment
the hearing in which a criminal defendant charged with a crime is brought before the court, at which time the charges are presented to him/her, the opportunity to enter a plea (or ask for a continuance to plead) is given, a determination of whether the party has a lawyer is made (or whether a lawyer needs to be appointed), if necessary setting the amount of bail, and future appearances are scheduled.

own recognizance
(O.R.) n. the basis for a judge allowing a person accused of a crime to be free while awaiting trial, without posting bail, on the defendant's own promise to appear and his/her reputation. The judge may consider the seriousness of the crime charged, the likelihood the defendant will always appear, the length of time the person has lived in the area, his/her reputation in the community, his/her employment, financial burdens and the demeanor of the accused. In minor crimes, traffic offenses and technical law violations such as leaky septic systems, judges routinely grant release on one's own recognizance.

So, with that, I think your real question should be how long does the state have to set for trial?
Speedy Trial Rights in Oregon

If you are charged with a crime and your trial has not been postponed upon your application or by your consent, your trial must start within a reasonable period of time or the instrument charging you with the crime will be dismissed. The following factors are considered in determining the reasonableness of the delay:
* Nature of charges
* Length of delay
* State’s explanation or lack of explanation for failing to bring your case to trial

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">