• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Vehicle Woes...does this qualify?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mark1210

What is the name of your state? Texas

I purchased a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer about 4 months ago. The first week of ownership already resulted in a service visit for an alternator type noise in the rear speakers. When accelerating a whirring sound is heard, when depressing the brake pedal a pop is heard in the rear speakers. Almost like a bad ground or noisy alternator. The problem seems to occur more when the vehicle is cold, but it isn't continuous. I have had 4 visits in the past month to correct this condition.

First Visit: No trouble found
Second Visit: Rear Audio Controls - Bad Ground
Third Visit: Defective Rear Amplifier
Fourth Visit: Defective BCM

The problem is still present, however since the problem is nothing more than a loud whiring noise which could be anything do I have a case for lemon law? I thought lemon law was for major mechanical issues, etc. If I do have a case, to what address do I mail my written letter to General Motors to?

Thanks!

Last edited:

JETX

do I have a case for lemon law?
No.

The Texas 'lemon law' only covers if your complain meets ALL of the following conditions:
1. The vehicle has a serious defect or abnormal condition.
2. The defect or condition is covered by a manufacturer's written warranty.
3. The owner reports the defect or condition to the dealer or manufacturer within the warranty term.
4. The owner gives the dealer or manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defect or condition.
5. The owner gives the manufacturer (preferably by certified mail) written notice of the defect and at least one opportunity for repair.
6. The defect or condition persists and substantially impairs the vehicle's use or market value, or creates a serious safety hazard.
7. The owner files a timely Lemon Law complaint and pays the filing fee.

For more, and how to file a complaint, go to: http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/TX_LemonGuide.html

mark1210

JetX,

Thanks for the response...however, I assume you're saying I don't meet #5. I have not written the manufacturer yet but will be doing so. Aside from that, I don't see how I'm not meeting the rest. Having a intermittent short/bad ground/anamoly would lend me to believe that there is a high risk of a short possibly a fire risk and the fact that the noise gets very loud could be a safety hazard.

I don't think I could in good conscience sell the vehicle with this known issue. Especially considering I was just made aware a TSB bulletin exists but has already been done on my vehicle. What are your thoughts?

BL

JetX,

Thanks for the response...however, I assume you're saying I don't meet #5. I have not written the manufacturer yet but will be doing so. Aside from that, I don't see how I'm not meeting the rest. Having a intermittent short/bad ground/anamoly would lend me to believe that there is a high risk of a short possibly a fire risk and the fact that the noise gets very loud could be a safety hazard.

I don't think I could in good conscience sell the vehicle with this known issue. Especially considering I was just made aware a TSB bulletin exists but has already been done on my vehicle. What are your thoughts?
Ask the boys at batauto.com on the domestic vehicles column . Site the TSB , see what they think ?

JETX

Thanks for the response...however, I assume you're saying I don't meet #5.
Nope. I am saying that your situation doesn't meet ANY of the underlined requirements.

Having a intermittent short/bad ground/anamoly would lend me to believe that there is a high risk of a short possibly a fire risk and the fact that the noise gets very loud could be a safety hazard.
Though your 'diagnosis' of a short could be correct... absent the solution, your opinion is just that. And even less likely that it is a fire risk or a safety hazard. It is more likely a loose connection or similar that is allowing alternator (brush) or spark 'noise' to get into the wiring.

Especially considering I was just made aware a TSB bulletin exists but has already been done on my vehicle. What are your thoughts?
If there is a TSB on your vehicle for this problem, take it to the dealer. Seems pretty simple to me.
TSB #040844014A

pullinmyhairout

If you need the address of the manufacturer, it is in your owners manual. In this case, it is:

Chevrolet Motor Division
PO Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

Also, you can call 1-800-222-1020 for Chevrolet Customer Assistance. While they can not fix your car over the phone, they are indeed concerned about the happiness of their customer base. Would be worth a phone call at a minimum, to document your case. They will provide you with a unique case file number, which can then be used if the situation escalates to show that you were concerned about this early on. Great documentation through the manufacturer, and they will almost always contact the dealer involved to assist where possible.

If your dealer is not able to find the cause, consider checking other dealers in the area. Warranty is warranty is warranty, and yours is valid at any Chevrolet dealer in the United States. Although another dealer might not necessarily welcome you with open arms immediately if you did not purchase the vehicle from them, a reputable shop will see this as an opportunity to earn a customer. And always be sure to be courteous with the repair staff, I can guarantee you it is almost as frustrating to them as it is to you, as any technician (not mechanics anymore!) worth his salt wants to repair your vehicle the first time - that is what he or she takes pride in! General Motors also has a technical assistance center available for all of their dealers, and I would hope that by the fourth visit, your dealer has contacted them as well. GM does employ a small number of field engineers, located geographically around the country, and they are available for more complex concerns at the dealership level. Your warranty will also provide you a free rental vehicle or courtesy transportation while yours is in the shop, which again I would hope your dealer is supplying you with.

Certainly does sound like a wiring issue, whether it is nothing more than a loose ground, connector, or possibly an electrical component that is too near a wiring harness and needs to be shielded or filtered. Regardless, I've been in the auto business for 20 years (15 with GM, in fact), and have only seen two vehicles with wiring issues catch fire in that time; once caused by a misinstalled CB radio, and once by two wires that had rubbed together and shorted after the vehicle was 17 years old - I'm not saying that it can't happen, but it is pretty rare, unless it is a Ford with a known cruise control issue (couldn't resist that :D ).

With that all said, please remember this when you have to take your vehicle in:

1. You have indicated that your concern is intermittent in nature; remember before you get upset that your dealer has your vehicle for maybe a few hours, to try to duplicate and locate a concern that you have said evidences itself about once per week.

2. When you take your vehicle to the dealer, treat the personnel with respect as long as they do the same for you (I'm not saying that you have not done this, but it is very easy to get upset with the person in front of you when you are really upset with the situation). There is an old saying in the auto repair business - we didn't build it, buy it, or break it. But a good shop will do everything within their ability and power to repair it.

3. Talk to the service manager to find out if there is anything that you can do to help with the diagnosis. Make notes of any and all accessories that may be on when the noise occurs (heater, radio, cel phone charger plugged into the power outlet, etc.); looks like you have been able to note that the condition is worse when vehicle is cold, so you are certainly on the right track! Even if you think it is not related, note it down -- I once had a speedometer that would not function properly, because the radio had a problem (but the radio worked :confused: ). Seems that the computer communications passed through the radio, and while the radio functions worked, it would up and stop communicating electronically with the other components after being driven about 50 miles, and cause all kinds of havoc with the speedo. Took weeks to find that one, but we refused to give up because the customer was willing to work with us.

4. Become familiar with the terms and conditions of your warranty, and be sure to ask for what you are entitled to. This will help throughout your ownership experience. If this was not covered with you at the time you took delivery of your vehicle, look up your salesperson and have them cover it with you - it is one of the things that the manufacturer will grade them on when you get a survey. And on that subject, get your salesperson involved too - they survive on sales only, and you can either buy your next car from them or not - but you are more likely to look them up next time if they were able to help you this time!

5. If you are searching for a legal reason to have the vehicle bought back under a lemon law, in my humble opinion, you are not there. And with that said, I can also tell you that a courteous, understanding customer will get a lot of latitude from General Motors in a situation like this, including (in extreme situations) buying the vehicle back as a customer goodwill gesture even if you have not met the legal requirements for the same.

As I have stressed throughout this post, COURTESY is the key, because at this point, the only obligation that the dealer/manufacturer has is to honor the terms of the warranty. Get to know your service department, and again, if they are worth their salt, they will bend over backwards to help you out. Too, when you do get upset, your concern will be taken much more seriously than if you start complaining on your first or second visit (that's my unsolicited love-your-service-guy commercial ;) ).

The old advertisement says "it's not your father's Oldsmobile" - and that can't be more true these days. Today's vehicles have become very complex, mechanical and electrical machines. An average vehicle contains over 20 miles of wiring, 3-4 computers/modules, and enough features and amenities to stock a small home :eek: . Remember when we used to have to physically roll the windows down?? Or when we played "Slug-Bug" on family vacations because that is all there was to do?? Now we have DVD players, individual CD players for each seat, navigation systems, video game systems, tire pressure monitoring systems, power everything, and more data in the drivers information system than the average driver even knows what to do with. Electrical problems are one of the toughest things we have to deal with in the new vehicles, and it grows exponentially when the concern is intermittent. I'm not trying to defend your dealer, just pointing out that sometimes a bit more patience is needed, and a lot of understanding is appreciated.

Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds with this LONG post, but in the absence of legal remedy, hopefully this will help you work with your chosen dealer to solve the problem. Obviously you like the Trailblazer enough to have spent your hard-earned money on it, at a minimum you deserve to be happy with your purchase. And unfortunately, a vehicle can't just be returned to the customer service desk like a pair of socks at Wal-Mart, otherwise all of our lives would be easier! :D

Good luck and hope everything is resolved for you soon - and happy holidays!

mark1210

Well the vehicle was in the shop for 5 business day, and GM flew an Engineer out. The engineer pointed fingers at my aftermarket radio and pretty much dismissed the problem. At my insistence a GM radio was installed, and the problem was still present. GM is now in the process of having the foreman double check that the TSBs were done properly and if so will be purchasing my TB back. My question is, has anyone ever gone through a GM Buyback and what's involved? Do I get my 4 months of payments reimbursed, taxes, down payment, etc refunded?

Thanks!

msiron

Did you buy a USED 06 vehicle or brand new? (I assume used since there is an AFTERMARKET stereo in it) Regardless they won't buy you out of it, and if they did you will not get back even close to what you paid. And you will be deducted for mileage.

Do I get my 4 months of payments reimbursed, taxes, down payment, etc refunded?
NO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">