• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Changed To Disorderly Conduct

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbchomebrew

What is the name of your state? PA

Long story short, I was doing 30 MPH over the limit & caught. I was in a position where I had to have a DL to work, but a citation for 30 MPH or more over the limit in PA (I was told at the time) would cause me to lose my license for a time (if memory serves me correctly--6 months, but I could be wrong).

I pled Not Guilty and went to the Court Date, hoping that the officer would not show up, or at worst, I could reason with him. He didn't, but his superior did and said there was no way he was letting the District Justice dismiss my case w/ no penalty when I was speeding as fast as I was going-- my memory is iffy here as this occurred 6 years ago.

Anyway, he offered to withdraw the speeding citation & have me plead to Disorderly Conduct which would not have any points on my license and not raise my insurance premiums. I took the deal.

Now, I'm changing jobs & my new employer is going to do a background check. They are asking me on the application (I've already been offered the position but must fill out the application for their records) if I've ever been convicted of a crime. It goes on to have me describe the "criminal conviction."

Is a Disorderly Conduct a Criminal conviction? Not answering truthfully is cause for termination.

I've been told by my new supervisor that this particular event will not keep me from getting the job, but do I need to disclose it here? Will it even show up on the professional background check that a NYC company does on me?

Disorderly Conduct can be a 3rd degree misdemeanor in PA (depends on how it was graded). You can be pretty sure that any "reasonable" background check will show this (I am familiar with PA record keeping...and background checks).

Since you already told your boss (which I am sure seems like your friend), not disclosing it will have something hanging over your head which could be a problem at any given time. Also check the records on the event to see how this was graded (at the courthouse, or the county seat courthouse, where it took place). You also probably received a letter explaning it.

I gotta say that you really blew this in multiple ways and getting caught speeding was the least of it. Pleading guilty in the first place to something that you didn't know what the consequences would be to telling your boss about it...and allowing a cop to convince you to turn a speeding ticket into a potential misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">