• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over - no ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarhy

What is the name of your state? VA

My husband and I live in WVA but commute to VA everyday for work. As we were getting off the greenway and onto the dulles toll road (not sure if already in fairfax co or still in loudoun co) we were pulled over for doing 80/65 by a fairfax co cop. The cop was a real jerk and told my husband he was driving like an a$$hole and a few other obscenities. He asked for license and registration and insurance card and we couldn't find the registration. So as he's walking back to his umarked cruiser he mumbles "that's another ticket." When he comes back he says there will be a couple of warrants out for his arrest and that he drives this road every day and if he ever sees us again going even 1 mph over the speed limit he will personally take him in and arrest him. He hands us back the license and ins. card and leaves... no ticket no court summons. Should we worry about this or forget all about it? We called the fairfax co station and they said that doesn't make sense which leads us to believe we don't need to worry about it but thought I'd get some of your opinions.

cepe10

Only in the communist enclave of VA....

Since this behavior is well outside the ethical standards for a law enforcement officer, In order to cover yourself I would report the incident...

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/iaffairs.htm

Internal Affairs Bureau
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: 703-246-2793
Fax: 703-383-9085
Email: [email protected]

The Fairfax County Police Department will accept complaints or compliments from individual person(s) and third party observers, as well as anonymously.

Complaints or compliments can be made by any of the following options:

* Using the complaint or compliment link below and completing the form on-line
* Contacting the Internal Affairs Commander via email
* Telephoning the Internal Affairs Bureau at 703-246-2793
* In person or by mail to the Internal Affairs Bureau at the address above
* Contacting the Chief of Police via email link or mail
* Visiting any Police District Station and speaking with a police supervisor

What is a complaint?

* An allegation of a specific act or omission which, if proven true would amount to employee misconduct, or
* An expression of dissatisfaction with a policy, procedure, practice, philosophy, service level or legal standard of the agency.

Your complaint will be assigned the appropriate Department entity for review. A police supervisor will contact you to follow-up on your complaint.

And include the governor on the distribution

http://www.governor.virginia.gov/AboutTheGovernor/contactGovernor.cfm

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh brother!
The cop gave you break! Congratulations!
Go on about your business in a lawful way.

fairisfair

oh, yes, by all means, complain about the officer, and insist that he give you the ticket to which you were entitled. :p :rolleyes: :D

sugarhy

Believe me, I am not complaining. In fact, I hope nothing comes of it. I was just curious because I have never heard of this happening. Some people at his work said I am okay and others said to check in a couple of days.

Ozark_Sophist

I would be worried it wasn't a real police officer who stopped you. I'd check with the police department again with a description of the officer and the unmarked car. It could be a 'cop wannabe' has your personal information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">