• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor question and draw

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kkhotr

What is the name of your state? Georgia

It's me again with one other question about my 3/4 complete renovation. Where I live it may be too cold to paint the exterior of the house. The contractor is asking for more in this "final draw" with the promise of attending to our punch list. I am wanting to retain enough to be sure the electric is complete ( it flickers) the plumbing is complete ( not too sure this is correct) and the exterior is painted ( which may not be able to be done as it may be too cold). I have considered hiring a home inspector too ( not my contractor), and want to retain some funds to ensure the contractor will complete the work and anything the inspector may find that needs to be fixed. Can I tell the contractor this and negoiate the final draw amount?

Also, in our contract he was to get all permits, etc, but I was the actual one who spent hours at our city hall getting a variance and new permit...guess it is too late for me to charge him for my time? Ha ha... just venting on that one..I choose to sit in city hall to expedite our variance. Thanks for your replies...

C

copperman

If you pay him too much before all work is complete he may never come back to finish. I'm a contractor and I don't expect to be paid my final draw until I finish all the work. I have seen and heard contractors say when the weather is better that there no money left in the job and it's not worth going back to finish. By paying to much in advance of finish you lose your bargaining power.

DO NOT PAY IT ALL UNTIL AFTER THE WORK IS DONE!!!

I do not care if the contractor is the nicest person in the entire world...once they are paid you will have nothing but frustration to get them back to finish... Been there, done that, will never ever ever ever do that again.

kkhotr

Thanks

Hi everyone- Thanks for the reply...I did email my contractor and told him I wanted to discuss his draw request. I am not opposed to paying for work that is completed, but not before. I often wonder because I am a female if he is pushing the limits. Thanks again for your support....I intend to have an inspector who I will choose go over the house before he gets his "final" draw. KK

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">