• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is normal for a officer take cash as speeding fine directly?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

passing

Illinoice

When I got a ticket the trooper asked me if I cash to pay for it today. Would it be normal for him to do that?

JETX

When I got a ticket the trooper asked me if I cash to pay for it today. Would it be normal for him to do that?
Normal?? No.
Illegal?? Not if he turns the money in to the court with your guilty plea.
Actually, 'pay the officer' is a fairly common practice in several states. Have seen it in Louisiana... and understand it also happens in New Mexico.

BelizeBreeze

Normal?? No.
Illegal?? Not if he turns the money in to the court with your guilty plea.
Actually, 'pay the officer' is a fairly common practice in several states. Have seen it in Louisiana... and understand it also happens in New Mexico.
I saw 7 instances of it in Louisiana. Of course, it was in Bossier Parrish in the lat 70s and the subject of an FBI sting, but it was sooooo entertaining.:D

Illinoice

Abnormal. Was permissible in the old days, supposed to be a convenience for travelers, but too frequently a way for crooked cops to pocket the money, and even be induced to trump up charges. Wherever it is legal (and I know of none), it should not be. If you paid cash, it would be the act of a responsible citizen to ascertain whether or not the "fine" found it's way to where it is supposed to go. There is no crook worse than a crooked law enforcement officer, and all states need to have the information which would weed them out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">