• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Bank Accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debud

What is the name of your state? Michigan
In 2002, after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's but still able to make sound decisions, my mother appointed my brother DPOA, and also opened a joint bank acct. with him, clearly for convenience only. In March of this year, my mother had a new DPOA drawn up naming my brother and I joint DPOA. I have just recently discovered that over the course of 2 years he has withdrawn about $160,000 from the joint bank acct. for his own personal use, and continues to withdraw between $6K and $7K per month for himself. He has very little work coming in - therefore little or no income - and has developed a very severe alcohol problem, which, over the past year or so, has resulted in a significantly diminished mental capacity. At this point, my mother is no longer able to cognizantly sign legal documents.

My questions are: Is there any way to get him removed as DPOA? Is there any way to get him removed from and inaccessible to the joint bank accounts? What should my course of action be, if I have any?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">