• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Careless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sniperjwp

State: New Jersey

I was issued a 4-97 ticket for Careless Driving after I drove past an officer on the highway.

He said he clocked me going "100 in a 65" and said he was doing me a favor by issuing me the careless instead of a speeding ticket.

On the ticket it says the method used was "pace".

NJ state law defines careless driving as: 39:4-97. A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to endanger, a person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving.

I've decided to plead not guilty to the ticket and would appreciate any advice with regards to what I should say in court and whether or not I should hire an attorney.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

jamieflyn

was it a trooper on route 280? I had the same thing happen a week ago.

Passed a cop who was stuck behind a truck, he pulled me over and claimed that I was doing 75 in a 65...when I was looking at my speedo the whole time to make sure I didn't exceed 70. So he knew that was a b.s. charge. Then said that I was hogging the left lane..which I was but not for a long time.

He said he cut me a break by giving me a careless driving ticket.

was it a trooper on route 280? I had the same thing happen a week ago.

Passed a cop who was stuck behind a truck, he pulled me over and claimed that I was doing 75 in a 65...when I was looking at my speedo the whole time to make sure I didn't exceed 70. So he knew that was a b.s. charge. Then said that I was hogging the left lane..which I was but not for a long time.

He said he cut me a break by giving me a careless driving ticket.

So just have him write you a ticket for 70 in a 65 ... speeding is speeding.

jamieflyn

So just have him write you a ticket for 70 in a 65 ... speeding is speeding.
yes speeding is speeding...but if you aren't going to enforce it when people do 80....then you shouldn't enforce it when people do 70. Regardless, its not a careless driving ticket which I'm not guilty off, so should be easy enough to beat it in court. Worst case scenario its a 2 point ticket, so worth it to take a chance, considering careless driving is something you plead DOWN to from a harsher crime

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">